11 Reasons Why You Should Wear A Rainbow Bracelet

There's more than meets the eye when it comes to these bracelets.

4783
The Rainbow Delegation

You’ve probably seen someone wearing a rainbow bracelet around campus, and you probably have an idea of what they mean. Rainbow bracelets are a symbol for the LGBTQ+ community, but that doesn’t mean you have to be LGBTQ+ to wear one of the bracelets. If you support the community and want to show solidarity against LGBTQ+ discrimination, then these bracelets can go a long way for you, the community, and their allies.

Here are eleven reasons why you should wear a rainbow bracelet:

1. They’re Cute

Rainbow bracelets are adorable. If you’re wearing a simple black shirt and jeans then just wear the bracelet to add a little bit of color to your outfit. Or even if you’re wearing a graphic tee, a floral dress, or work uniform, they add a little bit of cute life to your outfit.

2. They’re Free

You can stop in at the LGBTQ+ Center located in Schleman Hall 230 to grab a free, rainbow bracelet right at the front desk, and while you’re there you can even meet cool people and get a lot of other freebies as well! If you’re not on campus, find any LGBTQ+ center near you and they’ll most likely have a free bowl of bracelets too.

3. They Start Conversations

Not everyone is aware that those bracelets symbolize the LGBTQ+ community, and even the people who do realize might ask you about it, and usually the conversations start from curiosity, not hostility.

4. They Make a Statement

Maybe you’re not the type of person who engages in political discussions or posts their opinions on social media that much. This bracelet states that you support the LGBTQ+ community. You don’t have to be LGBTQ+ to wear one, it simply means you support the community.

5. They Make You Approachable

If a member of the LGBTQ+ community needs assistance of some sort and they see you wearing that bracelet, they’ll be much more comfortable approaching you because of it.

6. They Can be a Part of Your Identity

We constantly ask ourselves “who am I” and so when we discover an identity in ourselves and we become proud of that identity, we want to showcase it. Some people get tattoos or wear graphic tees, but some people wear a bracelet.

7. They Can Make Someone’s Day

Rainbow bracelets are small accessories, but they can go a long way. Someone who might not feel welcomed in a place can have a completely different day if they see you wearing that bracelet.

8. They Connect People

It’s like when you see someone wearing a shirt of your favorite band, a simple “I like your shirt” connects you and the person together. “I like your bracelet” can do the same.

9. They’re RAINBOW

Who doesn’t love rainbows?

10. There’s a Variety of Them

You can even get more than just rainbow bracelets. You can get one that symbolizes the trans community, the pansexual community, the ace community, and so on.

11. They Say You’re an Ally

Whether you’re LGBTQ+ or not, saying you’re an ally of the community is important, and these bracelets are a good way to start showing your support for the community.