When I was just about to start my first year of middle school, my parents informed me that they were making me join band. As an 11-year old, the only thing I knew about band was that those who were in it were "nerds". Now I wasn't the most popular kid in school, but I knew that I didn't want to be identified as the "band geek."
I was so mad at my parents for making me be in the band. But a few years ago, I realized that playing music had become a big part of who I am.
So, here's 11 reason why putting me in band was the best idea they had:
1. I made so many life long friends.
2. I learned how to play an instrument.
3. I learned how to read music.
4. Playing music became an outlet for all my frustrations.
5. Band class was the one hour of the day that I was most calm.
6. Believe it or not, marching band is a lot of work so that was pretty much my exercise.
7. I gained an appreciation and respect for the arts, not only music.
8. I have terrible ADD and playing music allowed me to concentrate.
9. I got the opportunity to play in the best band in the land (AKA The Golden Band from Tigerland)
10. Music is just amazing, whether you're listening to it, or playing it.
11. I have no idea what my life would be like without it.
So here's to you Mom and Dad. Thanks for allowing me to make these memories and learn such an amazing trade.