11 Reasons Why You Should Move Away For College

It's so worth it.
4392

When making the major decision on what school you want to attend for the next four or more years, you have to take many things into consideration. You might be completely ready to get as far away from your family as possible, or you might be a homebody and moving away scares you more than anything. Either way, I completely agree with the fact that moving away for college is the best way to go.

1. You get a fresh start.

You are no longer with the same group of people since kindergarten. You are able to get away from any unwanted labels you gained throughout the past 18 years. You are starting over and giving yourself the image that you want.

2. You appreciate your home more.

You appreciate everything about your home so much more. Your bed is the best place on earth. The size of your room is so much bigger now. You take advantage of free laundry when you can. The sound of your dog’s footsteps coming at you when you open the front door is the best. The meals made at home even taste better. But most importantly, you love not wearing flip flops every time you shower or use the bathroom.

3. You appreciate your family more.

Remember when you hated sitting at home on a Friday night? Well, now it’s your favorite. Whether you are watching the game with dad, or watching Fixer Upper with mom, you are so content. And you also get a little upset when you are home and your siblings make plans without you.

4. Local restaurants become more special.

You know that one Mexican restaurant that you only have in your hometown? A visit every time you are home is absolutely required. You’ve tried those those Mexican restaurants around campus and they just aren’t the same.

5. You are exposed to a new environment.

You might pick up a southern accent. You might use “y’all” in your everyday vocabulary. Your family and hometown homies might make fun of you but you just need to embrace it. Saying “you all” just doesn’t feel right anymore.

6. You are more likely to branch out to try to make new friends.

Maybe you came to college with a few friends and maybe you came with none. Either way, are forced to branch out. You get to make friends with people from all over and learn about their hometowns and what the past 18 years have been like for them.

7. The independence.

If you choose to go out, stay out as long as your heart desires. No one here can stop you.

8. You gain responsiblity.

Responsibility comes along with the independence.You plan your own schedule. Your make sure you go to class and get everything done. Your mom isn't right there to tell you to get things taken care of.

9. You have a better sense of direction.

That two hour drive is a piece of cake now. You don’t even need Siri anymore. Now that you have found your way around your hometown and your college campus, you feel like you can take on anything.

10. You learn more about yourself.

This also comes with the independence and the responsibility. You learn from what you choose to do when you aren’t being told what to do. You learn from the good and the bad choices. You learn how to mature and be yourself.

11. You get the full college experience.

You will never get to experience life like this ever again. So, why wouldn't you want to get the full experience?

Whether you are moving one hour away or 15 hours away, you will still get these experiences. Don't let being scared or nervous stop you from the best four years of your life. Everyone is a little afraid at first, but trust me, it's so worth it.