11 Reasons To Love A Horse

11 Reasons To Love A Horse

They are so much more than just an animal.

1964
11 Reasons To Love A Horse
Hayley Broich

To those who love them, horses are so much more than just an animal, or even a pet. They become your teacher, your best friend, your shoulder to cry on. When you're happy, they know it. When you're sad, they know and they are there for you.

Here are 11 reasons you should love a horse.

1. They wear many hats.

Your horse becomes a lot of different things to you. A friend, companion, teacher, fitness instructor, and therapist. Don't believe me? Fall in love with a horse and then get back to me.

2. They motivate you.

Horses are great motivation to take care of your mind, body, and spirit. In order for our horses to be their healthiest, we have to be too.

3. They teach you to care for something other than yourself.

For some, taking care of an animal, especially a horse, is the first time they have ever had to worry about something other than themselves. With caring for a horse comes great responsibility.

4. They keep you fit and active.

Riding, conditioning, and taking care of your horse is a lot of work. They keep you on your feet and moving around, getting your heart rate up and strengthening your muscles.

5. They teach you to understand.

It can be quite difficult to interpret others sometimes- whether they're human or horse. To be able to listen to what the other has to say and understand it is a skill very useful to communicating with others throughout life.

6. They keep you humble.

Horses will tell you when you are wrong. Every single time. And it will happen often. You learn how to be told you are wrong, and not get upset about it. You learn from it and move on, because you're definitely wrong a lot more often than you think.

7. They help you to socialize.

Horseback riding is a social sport. It is a great way to meet people with similar interests, and bond over your passion. It's really as simple as that.

8. They teach you to be confident.

It always feels good when you are able to say you can finally do something you've been working so hard at, like getting your diagonal simply by feeling it. The challenges you face and grow from related to horse help you feel just as confident in the real world.

9. They teach you dedication.

Loving and owning a horse is a long-term commitment. They are not something you can only be passionate about for a week and then forget about them. If you can commit to caring for a horse throughout it's life, you can commit to anything.

10. They teach you to manage emotions.

Whether you win or lose, are in good or poor health, are having a good or bad day, your horse will teach you to manage it. Life is not always going to go the way you may have expected or planned, and your horse will teach you to cope.

11. They are the most rewarding creature.

When it comes down to it, at the end of the day there is nothing more rewarding than loving a horse. You can have the worst day with them, but you're still going to love them no matter what. The lessons you learn from caring for them, and the things they teach you will be carried on forever.