11 Must-See Performances In The Twin Cities This April

11 Must-See Performances In The Twin Cities This April

The best musicians, reality stars, Broadway performers and comedians.
views

Spring has sprung and several artists, speakers, musicals, and other performers are making their way to the Twin Cities to entertain. Minneapolis and St. Paul have a tremendous amount of talent visiting this spring and there are dozens of events for you to attend this month. Here are some of the shows you definitely don't want to miss this April.

1. "Matilda" - The Musical

When: April 1-2, various times
Where: Orpheum Theatre

Hopefully you didn't miss it already, but if you haven't seen this movie from 1996, I highly recommend you do. The only thing I can imagine being better than the movie is a Broadway musical.

2. Green Day & Against Me!

When: April 1st, 7:30pm
Where: Xcel Energy Center

Green Day and Against Me! were just recently in the Twin Cities. We all know Green Day for their infamous songs "21 Guns" and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," but you may not know of Against Me! just yet. If you're a Green Day fan, I hope you made it to this one!

3. Lewis Black - The Rant, White, and Blue Tour

When: April 1st, 8:00pm
Where: Pantages Theatre Minneapolis

Lewis Black is a comedian and "ranter" who tours around the country going off about anything and everything that bothers him in today's society. This is a must-see event for anyone who wants a good laugh and vent-sesh. If you missed it this time around, no worries--he'll be back.

4. Chris Brown & 50 Cent

When: April 9th, 7:30pm
Where: Xcel Energy Center

This concert has me reminiscing on the good 'ol days of middle school dances. Hopefully they'll perform a mix of throwbacks and current tracks! We can't forget songs like "With You" or "In Da Club."

5. "Wicked"

When: April 12-13th, various times
Where: Orpheum Theater

Wicked is a classic Broadway musical that everyone should see at least once in their lifetime. You'll smile, you'll laugh, and you'll cry. Then you'll want to see it all over again.

6. John Mayer

When: April 15th, 7:30pm
Where: Xcel Energy Center

Featuring songs like, "Gravity," "Your Body's A Wonderland," "Free Fallin'," and "Waiting on the World to Change," this is a concert you don't want to miss. A dreamy voice, handsome face, and spectacular music are a package deal when you purchase a ticket to this event.

7. 21 Savage

When: April 19th, 8:00pm
Where: Myth Live Event Center

21 Savage is an up and coming rapper who made his first splash with hit, "No Heart." From Atlanta, Georgia, he's starting to make a name for himself around the country.

8. MayDay Parade

When: April 20th, 6:00pm
Where: First Avenue

American rock band, MayDay Parade, will be hitting the stage this spring at dozens of cities around the country. Thankfully, this quintet from Florida is making a stop in Minneapolis.

9. Def Leppard, Poison, & Tesla

When: April 21st, 7:00pm
Where: Xcel Energy Center

Three incredible heavy metal/hard rock bands at the same event? This is a once in a lifetime show! It's definitely not something you want to "see next time they come around."

10. The xx

When: April 28th, 8:30pm
Where: Palace Theatre St. Paul

If you haven't heard of The xx, you should now. The xx is a London-based group who dropped their debut album in 2009. Listen to one of their top hits, "Angels" to get a taste of what they're all about.

11. The Real Housewives Live

When: April 29th, 8:00pm
Where: State Theatre

If you love TV drama and gossip, this is the show for you. The Bravo! show "The Real Housewives" are going to tour for an "uncensored and unapologetic" event.

Cover Image Credit: Pexels

Popular Right Now

8 Reasons Why My Dad Is the Most Important Man In My Life

Forever my number one guy.
views

Growing up, there's been one consistent man I can always count on, my father. In any aspect of my life, my dad has always been there, showing me unconditional love and respect every day. No matter what, I know that my dad will always be the most important man in my life for many reasons.

1. He has always been there.

Literally. From the day I was born until today, I have never not been able to count on my dad to be there for me, uplift me and be the best dad he can be.

2. He learned to adapt and suffer through girly trends to make me happy.

I'm sure when my dad was younger and pictured his future, he didn't think about the Barbie pretend pageants, dressing up as a princess, perfecting my pigtails and enduring other countless girly events. My dad never turned me down when I wanted to play a game, no matter what and was always willing to help me pick out cute outfits and do my hair before preschool.

3. He sends the cutest texts.

Random text messages since I have gotten my own cell phone have always come my way from my dad. Those randoms "I love you so much" and "I am so proud of you" never fail to make me smile, and I can always count on my dad for an adorable text message when I'm feeling down.

4. He taught me how to be brave.

When I needed to learn how to swim, he threw me in the pool. When I needed to learn how to ride a bike, he went alongside me and made sure I didn't fall too badly. When I needed to learn how to drive, he was there next to me, making sure I didn't crash.

5. He encourages me to best the best I can be.

My dad sees the best in me, no matter how much I fail. He's always there to support me and turn my failures into successes. He can sit on the phone with me for hours, talking future career stuff and listening to me lay out my future plans and goals. He wants the absolute best for me, and no is never an option, he is always willing to do whatever it takes to get me where I need to be.

6. He gets sentimental way too often, but it's cute.

Whether you're sitting down at the kitchen table, reminiscing about your childhood, or that one song comes on that your dad insists you will dance to together on your wedding day, your dad's emotions often come out in the cutest possible way, forever reminding you how loved you are.

7. He supports you, emotionally and financially.

Need to vent about a guy in your life that isn't treating you well? My dad is there. Need some extra cash to help fund spring break? He's there for that, too.

8. He shows me how I should be treated.

Yes, my dad treats me like a princess, and I don't expect every guy I meet to wait on me hand and foot, but I do expect respect, and that's exactly what my dad showed I deserve. From the way he loves, admires, and respects me, he shows me that there are guys out there who will one day come along and treat me like that. My dad always advises me to not put up with less than I deserve and assures me that the right guy will come along one day.

For these reasons and more, my dad will forever be my No. 1 man. I love you!

Related Content

Connect with a generation
of new voices.

We are students, thinkers, influencers, and communities sharing our ideas with the world. Join our platform to create and discover content that actually matters to you.

Learn more Start Creating

From One Nerd To Another

My contemplation of the complexities between different forms of art.

views

Aside from reading Guy Harrison's guide to eliminating scientific ignorance called, "At Least Know This: Essential Science to Enhance Your Life" and, "The Breakthrough: Immunotherapy and the Race to Cure Cancer" by Charles Graeber, an informative and emotional historical account explaining the potential use of our own immune systems to cure cancer, I read articles and worked on my own writing in order to keep learning while enjoying my winter break back in December. I also took a trip to the Guggenheim Museum.

I wish I was artistic. Generally, I walk through museums in awe of what artists can do. The colors and dainty details simultaneously inspire me and remind me of what little talent I posses holding a paintbrush. Walking through the Guggenheim was no exception. Most of the pieces are done by Hilma af Klint, a 20th-century Swedish artist expressing her beliefs and curiosity about the universe through her abstract painting. I was mostly at the exhibit to appease my mom (a K - 8th-grade art teacher), but as we continued to look at each piece and read their descriptions, I slowly began to appreciate them and their underlying meanings.

I like writing that integrates symbols, double meanings, and metaphors into its message because I think that the best works of art are the ones that have to be sought after. If the writer simply tells you exactly what they were thinking and how their words should be interpreted, there's no room for imagination. An unpopular opinion in high school was that reading "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne was fun. Well, I thought it was. At the beginning of the book, there's a scene where Hawthorne describes a wild rosebush that sits just outside of the community prison. As you read, you are free to decide whether it's an image of morality, the last taste of freedom and natural beauty for criminals walking toward their doom, or a symbol of the relationship between the Puritans with their prison-like expectations and Hester, the main character, who blossoms into herself throughout the novel. Whichever one you think it is doesn't matter, the point is that the rosebush can symbolize whatever you want it to. It's the same with paintings - they can be interpreted however you want them to be.

As we walked through the building, its spiral design leading us further and further upwards, we were able to catch glimpses of af Klint's life through the strokes of her brush. My favorite of her collections was one titled, "Evolution." As a science nerd myself, the idea that the story of our existence was being incorporated into art intrigued me. One piece represented the eras of geological time through her use of spirals and snails colored abstractly. She clued you into the story she was telling by using different colors and tones to represent different periods. It felt like reading "The Scarlet Letter" and my biology textbook at the same time. Maybe that sounds like the worst thing ever, but to me it was heaven. Art isn't just art and science isn't just science. Aspects of different studies coexist and join together to form something amazing that will speak to even the most untalented patron walking through the museum halls.

Related Content