11 Necessary Life Lessons "The Office" Has Taught Us

We all have a little bit of Michael Scott in us.

88
ckckred

Chances are, if you have seen at least a handful of episodes of the hit sitcom "The Office", you have been exposed to the daily ups and downs that can ensue within a typical 9-5 job. There are hilarious and sometimes cringe-worthy moments throughout all 9 seasons of the series that people globally can connect to, whether they wish to admit it or not. Even if you don't sell paper for a living, you can watch the show to laugh, to cry, to see pieces of yourself in each and every character; for better or for worse.

1. Debut Your Makeover With Confidence

The best people to show off your reinvented look to is your trusted crew, but don't expect everyone to be on board with your newfound sense of style. That being said, you should probably think twice before using printer ink for hair dye.

2. Missing The Dress Code Memo... It Happens

Hey, we've all been there. Sometimes what is expected of our attire is totally different than what we want to wear. And that's OK... maybe.

3. Create Your Own Personal Holiday

There's nothing wrong with dedicating one day out of each year to be your special holiday. If you have to excuse yourself from class early to get first dibs on chocolate-filled croissants at your school's bake sale, by all means, run like the wind. Treat yo self!

4. Discover New Talents While Working

When you start to enjoy your job and kill it at work every day while still having fun, it might be time to start searching for a personal talent to make the day go by faster. Write your own rap songs, add a spin-move-turned-double-back-handspring to an intricate handshake with a coworker... whatever gets you going.

5. Some Days Suck... And That's OK

There are days you will fail miserably at the tasks you are trying to accomplish, but bad days just make you appreciate the good days that much more. So go out there in the world and spill coffee on yourself during your hour-long morning commute to work, miss a train, get rejected by a top-tier college... it builds character, right?

6. There Is Nothing Wrong With Being Annoying

There are people out there that practically beg to be messed with. It's your job to seek them out and annoy them or pull a prank on them every once in a while. Whether it be your sibling, coworker, or boss, keep them on their toes. As the great Babe Ruth once stated, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." Don't let Babe down.

7. You Can't Always Be The Smartest

There are some tricky concepts to get the hang of out there in the world... basic geography, holiday significance, proper celebration etiquette. Sadly, not everyone has mastered these general notions, but for the sake of sounded educated in conversation, fake it till you make it baby.

8. There Will Always Be People Who Live Under A Rock

We all have that one relative (usually a grandmother who doesn't get cable) or friend who just can't seem to stay up to date with what's going on in the 21st century. Although it's uncertain where, of if, they pay attention to news on pop-culture, the best thing we can do to help these people out is to play along with their games. Although we may be the only guiding light that can keep them up-to-date with the latest news, there is no need to stress them out over the definition and proper use of a "hashtag", or what compass direction Kim Kardashian has decided to name her child.

9. Frenemies: Can't Live With 'Em, Can't Live Without 'Em

Not everyone has to be your best friend. In fact, the number of people you can actually stand to spend more than five enjoyable consecutive hours with is likely pretty slim, and they probably deserve a trophy of sorts. There are always going to be people you don't get along with but you have to see every day. That's just life.

10. Stupidity Isn't A Bad Thing... In Moderation

It's important to keep your own personal checks and balances system to ensure that you do not exceed the amount of dumb things you allot yourself each day. No one wants to be the kid that embarrassingly topples over while still planted in their desk chair to retrieve a fallen pen from the ground during class. Do yourself a favor and pick up the pen properly. Don't be an idiot.

11. Understand That Everyone Gets In The Feels

Ah, the feels. Where would we be without them? It's completely normal to get sentimental over a certain time period in your life that you may no longer be living in. Perhaps a particular year in school, a job, or a certain group of friends once made you happier than you realized at the time. It would be nice to know when these "good old days" were in full swing, but sometimes you learn to appreciate something more when you no longer have it. Besides, isn't it exciting to think that some of the best days of our lives haven't even happened yet?Lessons from "The Office" can be applied to our own lives; we can learn how to be compassionate friends, supportive teammates, and achievers of personal goals. If you cannot pull a Michael Scott and laugh at yourself at least once a day, you’re doing something very wrong.