11 Lessons I Learned During My Freshman Year Of College

College is a world of it's own. Navigating it can be hard, but well worth it.

55

It feels like it was just yesterday when I walked into my freshman dorm for the very first time, and it feels like it was just yesterday that I was the naive freshman, eager and anxious about starting college. While it's been a long year with a lot of highs and some very low lows, I've definitely learned a lot. Here are 10 lessons I learned during my first year of college.

1. Be open to new experiences, and know how to deal with situations that don't turn out the way you want them to.

You have the option to completely reinvent yourself in college, and while you should still stay true to yourself, you should take advantage of that by all means.

2. Becoming a morning person will make your life so much better.

Not a morning person

You'll realize that there's so much more time in the day if you willingly wake up earlier!

3. Saying no to that free slice of pizza is sometimes necessary.

Freshman 15 is very much real, and the pounds will creep up on you faster than you think!

4. You're not obligated to be friends with everyone.

It's okay to (respectfully) let go of some friends if you feel as though they no longer have a positive impact on your life.

5. There are some friends you'll make immediately, and some that it takes longer to make.

Just be patient and be kind, things will work out.

6. There are not enough hours in a day.

Prioritize your responsibilities and don't forget to factor in self-care and fun!

7. Cutting corners here and there adds up in the long run and can ultimately be the difference between getting an A or a B in a class, or worse, keeping your scholarship or losing it.

You're on your own in college, and you don't have your mom reminding you daily to do your homework. It's important to stay on top of things

8. Being alone is okay!

I used to hate going to the dining hall alone. I felt self-conscious every time I walked in without a friend by my side, but I realized that it's totally normal and fine. Who you eat with (or don't eat with!) does not define you!

9. Believe that things are going to work out.

Not knowing what you want to do in the future can be scary as hell, but it's important to have faith in yourself and know that things will work out in the long run, even if it doesn't seem like they currently are.

10. Sometimes you need to take a break.

Even if you have a test the next day. You deserve it.

11. Work hard, play hard.

College is a world of its own - it's the only place you can be studying for your CS test one minute, and be sitting on the rooftop of a building with your best friends the next minute, reminiscing over the past year.