11 Lessons College Students Can Learn From Olivia Benson

From taking risks with opportunities or hairstyles, Olivia Benson has showed us the importance of having confidence and being brave.

147
Huffington Post

While spending many days and nights binge watching "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," I have learned many important life lessons from Olivia Benson. When I say watching, I mean spending entire weekends watching six hour "SVU" marathons on USA. While I admit that I have probably spent more evenings watching "SVU" than I have studying for math, at least I have learned how to be a little more like the brave and fierce Olivia Benson.

Olivia Benson is ambitious, passionate and dedicated. She stands up for what she believes in and encourages her fans to do the same. She bravely takes risks, overcomes obstacles, stands up for her team and survives horrific experiences without ever victimizing herself. Here are 11 life lessons that all college students can learn from Detective/Sergeant/Lieutenant Olivia Benson.

1. Trust your partner.

Despite being incredibly hurt when Stabler unexpectedly left SVU, Benson still showed that she trusted her partner for all 11 years they were together. Although it took her time to open up and trust her new partner, Benson eventually learned to trust Amaro. Benson has shown fans that trusting your partner is essential to building a healthy relationship. Whether it is a partner at work or a life-partner, trusting your partner is the foundation of developing a strong relationship like the one that Benson shared with Stabler. Through all of her ups and downs with various partners, Benson always learned the importance of trusting her partner and her team. As college students, trusting others is an essential life lesson that we need to learn. Trusting can be scary, especially when we are often let down by peers in group projects and by friends, but trust can also build the strongest of friendships and relationships.

2. Good things come to those who wait.

While your Mom has most likely told you this phrase over and over again, learning it from Olivia Benson seems to have a bigger impact. After watching the first 10 seasons of "SVU," we all reach a point where we want to be Dick Wolf just so we can write in a happily-ever-romance for Benson. We painfully watched Benson recover after Stabler left and held back tears while watching her being held hostage, raped and tormented by Lewis. After seeing Benson face so many traumatic experiences, it is a huge relief to see her happy when she is finally able to adopt Noah. While it may seem like you are the only one in your friend group who has not found the perfect boyfriend or the amazing internship, remember to be patient. It can be frustrating to have to wait for the call saying you got an interview at your dream job, and even more annoying to have to wait to meet the right guy, but remember that good things come to those who wait.

3. Be brave.

One defining trait of Sergeant Benson’s character is her unfathomable bravery. Even when faced with life-threatening, haunting situations, Benson never turns her back on her team or community. She fiercely faces death and puts her own life in jeopardy to protect women and children that she has never even met before. While most of us have one or two people that we would be willing to die for, Benson sees every victim as someone worth dying for and bravely does everything she can to protect them. Being in college and doing "adult things" can be very frightening. Paying bills, stressfully studying for finals, figuring out how to change a tire for the first time and having to do things on your own can be a very scary experience for college students. But being brave even when things are difficult, stressful or scary can help you overcome your biggest fears. I want to be like Olivia Benson and look into the face of fear and say to myself, "I got this."

4. Have Confidence.

While Olivia Benson is a remarkable character for many reasons, her confidence is what truly sets her apart from other popular female characters. Without confidence in herself, Olivia would have never been able to transition from Detective to Sergeant and fill Cragen's shoes, survive being kidnapped and tortured by Lewis or fight to adopt to Noah. When placed in the position of a victim, Benson remained confident that she could survive being kidnapped and tortured by Lewis. Her confidence makes her a great role model to college women, and women everywhere. As finals are approaching, being confident and prepared will definitely help you do your best.

5. Remain loyal.

Despite numerous confrontations with Stabler, her other partners and her team, Benson remains loyal. Benson feels resilient allegiance for her team and is dedicated to do all that she can to protect them. Benson sees her team as her family. They are the ultimate "#SquadGoals." Being loyal is a trait that all college students should strive to have because loyalty is essential to setting the foundation for strong friendships and relationships. While always being loyal to your family, your friends, your community and the people who matter most to you can be difficult, Benson shows us the importance of loyalty.

6. Be a survivor, not a victim.

Olivia Benson faces her worst nightmare when she is kidnapped, raped, tortured and assaulted by the atrocious serial rapist and killer, William Lewis. Olivia bravely and confidently survives an unimaginable, horrific situation without victimizing herself even once. While it can seem easy to justify or blame your problems on a personal situation or event, it is important to remember that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we handle it. Benson shows us that even when we face the most difficult of times, we can become survivors, not victims.

7. Don't be afraid to try new hairstyles.

From blonde highlights, to black-to-blonde ombre, to side bangs, Olivia Benson is always trying and pulling off new hairstyles. She clearly understands that life is short and that hair grows back, so why not try out something new?

8. Take risks.

As college students, we are given the opportunity to step outside of our comfort zones and take risks on a daily basis. Yet how many of us are actually confident enough to take the leap and risk our safety, money or time to try something new? We cannot allow our fear to stop us from taking risks that could be the experience of a lifetime, such as studying abroad, accepting an out-of-state internship or skydiving. By taking risks with her career, her safety and her hair style, Benson shows us that taking risks is the only way to accomplish our dreams and truly experience what life has to offer.

9. Care about others.

There is no denying that Benson cares about others. In addition to caring about her partner and her team, Benson cares deeply for every victim and survivor she has helped. Additionally, she also cares about the victims and survivors around the world and the ones she will help in the future. During the most stressful times of our college experiences, it is easy to get completely wrapped up in ourselves and our own lives. Between studying, working, going to classes, working out and having four meetings a week for various extracurricular activities, it can be hard to make time for our families and friends. Remember the people who matter most to you and make time for them. Be thankful for your sister who gets on your nerves sometimes, be thankful for your Mom who has supported you since day one, care about your Grandpa who you don't get to see as often as you'd like to and care about your friends back home. Don't expect people to care about you if you have never taken the time to show that you care about them.

10. Surround yourself with people you want to be like.

We become most like the people we spend the most time with. Since she is surrounded by her squad, Benson becomes like Fin, Carisi, Rollins, ADA Barba and Amaro. College can be a difficult time because we are constantly redefining who we want to become and what traits we want to have. If we surround ourselves with positive role models, mentors we can look up to and people that we want to be like, then we are more likely to develop the positive characteristics these individuals posses that make them our heroes. Find people that uphold values that you would like to have and spend time with them. Spend time with friends that are passionate, confident, organized and loyal. Spend time with people who are interesting, caring and accepting. Avoid spending every night with people who are negative. While it is equally as important to be yourself and not lose sight of who you are, you also need to pay attention to who you spend the most time with and make sure that they aren't preventing you from becoming the best version of you that you can be.

11. Stand up for what you believe in.

Olivia Benson stands up for victims, her squad, her family, her community and herself on a daily basis. While we may not be as equally as passionate about the same things, we all have something that we believe in. Maybe there is a cause, such as domestic violence or Alzheimers, that motivates you to want to help others or give back. Stand up for that cause that you believe in. Raise money, promote their cause, collect donations or spread awareness by walking in local walks. Maybe instead of a cause, there is a passion. Maybe you are passionate about animals or traveling. Stand up for those things. Most importantly, stand up for yourself and the people who matter to you. Don't be afraid to say when you don't think something is right or to become the voice for a cause that needs one.