11 Foodie Photography Secrets Your Instagram Account Needs Right Now

The secret ingredients to your best Instagram post...

22
Tara Tahil

Food-stagram game feeling a little weak? Here are some tips that will help you capture that perfect shot!

1. Having understanding friends and family

Whoever you get food with, should 100% understand that they cannot start eating until you’ve finished taking pictures of your meal. They need to be patient as a masterpiece is in work. Did people bother Van Gogh while he painted ‘Starry Night?’ Possibly, but if they’re your true friends, they’ll understand.

2. The Proper Camera

One of the most important ingredients in capturing the true essence of your food is your camera. Your phone is probably your sidekick when it comes to taking pictures of food, but if you have a digital camera -- go for it! Regardless of what device you’re using, make sure you don’t get any food on it.

3. Choose your focus

Are you going for the all-you-can-eat look with a bird’s eye view of your whole meal featuring your drink, entree(s), and side dish? Or concentrating on that one glorious plate of french toast topped with loads of chocolate and whipped cream?

4. Background

Isn’t it so annoying when an oblivious couple photo bombs that super cute picture of you and your friends? Same thing applies for food. Wait for a clear background of the scenic landscape or sidewalk -- it will be worth it. If you’re lucky enough, find colors that contrast your food.

5. The Angle: Birds’ Eye or Eye Level

If you’re going for the bird’s eye view, make sure the table is clear of tablecloth creases, pesky straw wrappers, or unwanted objects like a phone or wallet. Arrange the plates in a formation that will clearly showcase the texture and colors of the food, and that the whole plate is pictured so it doesn’t leave the viewer distracted about what could be on the other side of that plate. Oh, and you might have to stand up to take a couple of pictures.

For a eye level angle: Make sure the background behind your food is clear of strangers and cars (unless you want the busy street look). Be sure to hold your phone at steady level so that the photos aren’t blurry.

6. Lighting

Summer is the perfect time to capture shots of ice cream outside, but the sun can be a hit or miss when taking the picture. If the sun is in your eyes, turn around and take the picture so that your ice cream (or other food of choice) is facing the sun, not blocking its rays.

7. Colors

Every season, location, or event brings a new palette of colors. Utilize them. A blue sky is probably the best backdrop nature could offer and it makes any piece of food look stunning. But decide whether or not you want something really saturated in color or if you’re going for a faded, grungy look. Editing can always fix funky colors or unwanted shadows, too.

8. Nail/Hand Hygiene

Nothing ruins that picture of a $12 chocolatey swirly ice cream more than the chipped periwinkle painted fingernail holding it. It’s distracting and takes away from the beauty of the frozen dairy treat. If you’re planning on holding your food or drink, make sure that your nails are either painted or clear -- no between. Some lotion on your hands couldn’t hurt either.

9. Quality Photo Editing App

A good photo editing app can make all the difference! Instagram has pretty good editing tools, but VSCO and Afterlight are my personal favorites. If you need inspiration about what filter to use, you can search preset filter combinations on Pinterest.

10. Be Confident

There are some cases where you’ll feel uncomfortable taking a billion pictures of your meal at a restaurant or awkwardly standing 10 feet away from the very long line of judging people with your untouched milkshake that you waited three hours for. But know that all of those pictures will be worth it and don’t even think about letting strangers kill your vibe. If you’re looking for a sassy comeback, tell them that you have a foodie Instagram account with over two thousand followers -- it works like a charm and those “too cool” middle schoolers will be very impressed.

11. Social Media

After all the hard work of photographing, editing, and eating your food of choice, it’s time to spreading awareness of the most aesthetically pleasing and delicious creation of food you just devoured. What better way to do it than by posting your work of art on social media? Just think of a witty caption, tag the location, post the picture, and you’re done! All of your followers will be super jealous of how gorgeous your food looked. And any time is prime posting time.

From Your Site Articles