11 Things Every Grocery Store Cashier Has Thought

Oh the joys of food related retail...

1975

In December of 2014, I got my first actual job working at the grocery store closest to my house. I never knew the impact working retail can really have on a person until after I'd worked there for over a year. So, to remind those who are also stuck working the fabulous life of a grocery store employee, here are the most important things we've all thought while working our 8.5 hour shifts.

Fun note about this article: While I was looking for the pictures you'll see below, the majority of the memes I found involved the chain that I work for. I'm not sure whether to be proud or ashamed of that.

1. I will never see produce the same again.

Lemons? You mean 4053s? Or were you looking for some 4048s, aka limes? But of course if you don't know the code for bananas, you're probably screwed considering your cheat book won't even tell you the code.

2. If one more person complains about the lack of cashiers....

Yes, it's frustrating when you get stuck in a long line because there are only 4 registers open. Did you ever think that maybe we're just short handed? We didn't think we'd have five different people trying to buy 50+ items on a Tuesday night. We hate it just as much as customers do.

3. THIS IS EXPRESS FOR A REASON, GET OUT OF MY LINE

At least at my store, I'm not allowed to tell people to get out of my line if they have over the limit. It's even worse when it's during rush hours and someone who looks like they're doing their weekly grocery shopping comes through. Express isn't even built to really handle that kind of order.

4. Where are all the baggers?

I'm lazy, so I like having the people come help with the bagging. In their defense though, their job is worse than ours considering they have to run around all day. They're either cleaning the bathroom, taking care of trash, grabbing carts, or running around loans from customer service to cashiers. I think the only employee that gets treated worse than cashiers by customers are baggers.

5. Where the hell is the person whose suppose to give me my break?

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F02%2F10%2F635907192451595256-737768376_tumblr_mzpy8xFgtU1st4m2ko1_400.gif&ho=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com&s=34&h=8bc1ac44eeda0218aaad87be07e08df6cc761ed360a0f35df0ebc532238dc7bf&size=980x&c=1614042330 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F02%252F10%252F635907192451595256-737768376_tumblr_mzpy8xFgtU1st4m2ko1_400.gif%26ho%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com%26s%3D34%26h%3D8bc1ac44eeda0218aaad87be07e08df6cc761ed360a0f35df0ebc532238dc7bf%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1614042330%22%7D" expand=1]

You know this situation. It's crowded, every register is open, and it's time for your break. 5 minutes go by. 15 minutes go by. 45 minutes go by and then finally it breaks up enough so you can go on break. And just as you're nice and comfortable sitting down, someone pages you to come back up front.

6. Please switch me into a department. PLEASE.

As much as I love being up front, it's so much more fun to be back in a department. You don't have to talk to people as much and you can actually move around and do different things instead of just scanning items your entire shift. Plus, more hours.

7. Walmart's closed but we're not?? What the heck?

You know it's bad when your store won't even close on a holiday but Walmart did. And if you volunteer to work, bless your soul.

8. MY LIGHT IS OFF. LOOK UP BEFORE YOU COME IN THE LINE.

The actual worst moment of your shift is when you shut your light off because you're either about to go on break, or even worse, clock out, yet someone else comes through your line as if you weren't just about to be free. It's terrible because I'm not allowed to stop them, I have to take them through my line. So to whoever made that meme, I hope you know someone suffered to let you do that.

9. There is a customer service desk for a reason.

90% of the problems people come to you with are things you have no control over. I cannot control if we don't have the exact brand of soup you like. I also can't help if you went shopping yesterday and just realized your lettuce didn't ring up correctly. But you know who can help you? The customer service desk!!!

10. If I hear "Oh it didn't scan, I should get it for free!!!" one more time....

You're not original. I can't even begin to fathom the number of times people say that to me in a week. Do you seriously think you'll get that for free just because I didn't scan it the right way, or because the scanner isn't picking up the label for some reason?

11. I'm quitting tomorrow, I'm never coming back.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F02%2F12%2F635908899811081073-276155395_I-quit-GIF.gif&ho=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com&s=741&h=d07d7914ac6aee4dcc9901530f8f648ad1a69c33e5d21b3c86cb77851c3e4772&size=980x&c=2840115464 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F02%252F12%252F635908899811081073-276155395_I-quit-GIF.gif%26ho%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com%26s%3D741%26h%3Dd07d7914ac6aee4dcc9901530f8f648ad1a69c33e5d21b3c86cb77851c3e4772%26size%3D980x%26c%3D2840115464%22%7D" expand=1]

Lets be real, that day will come. But honestly, your job isn't the worst thing in the world. Most of the time, you love the people you work with and 60% of the customers are pleasant people that you enjoy having in your line. You'll have shifts that are rougher than others, but you're still going to come back because, at the end of the day, your job is pretty great.