11 Fin-tastically Bad Shark Movies That'll Push You Off The Deep End

These movies are jaw-some!

1170
Signature Entertainment

The open ocean. Killer sharks. Crazy story-lines. What more could you ask for in a list about some of the best but actually kind of terrible shark movies? While most movies today are made with great quality and the CGI seems so real, it's hard to forget that some films are intentionally made with bad graphics. I, myself, appreciate these B-quality movies more than anything because it gives me the ability to laugh at something so ridiculous that you cannot help but appreciate what the story-line is trying to tell you.

With the exception of "Jaws," (which is a true masterpiece in and of itself that I hold near and dear to my heart), the rest of these movies will probably make you question why you started watching it in the first place. But let me tell you a fun secret: intelligent people enjoy "bad" movies. So don't feel discouraged about enjoying a movie even when all of your friends (and mom) say it's terrible. I definitely don't. If anything, it only makes me love them more.

1. Jaws (1975)

- Jaws 2 (1978)

- Jaws 3D (1983)

- Jaws: The Revenge (1987)

"Jaws" is THE classic killer shark movie. There's nothing better than an actual mechanical shark to incite your deepest fears of going into the ocean with nothing but miles and miles of darkness below you. "Jaws" is the story about a giant shark terrorizing a small ocean town called Amity. A marine biologist (Richard Dreyfuss) and a daredevil fisherman (Robert Shaw) help out the local sheriff (Roy Scheider) to kill the shark before anyone else dies. Unfortunately, after this movie was made, there was such a stigma against sharks that people would go out and kill them for sport. Now that we know better, scientists are actively trying to save them since many of the species have become endangered.

"Jaws 2" is set in Amity four years later. All is calm until a series of boating accidents causes a stir within the community. This leads the Sheriff, yet again, protecting the people of Amity from another man-eating shark.

"Jaws 3-D" follows the Sheriffs two sons, Mike (Dennis Quaid) and Sean (John Putch), who are working for Sea World in Orlando. The opening of brand new underwater tunnels is planned to bring in thousands of additional guests into the park, when a baby great white sneaks its way in. Later, after trying to keep the shark in captivity, the baby dies. Mama Great White becomes angry and decides to make her way into the park to terrorize the underwater tunnels. These graphics are extra special because this film originally came out in 3-D, so you got the full effect of body parts flying at you.

"Jaws: The Revenge" takes places after the death of the Sheriff. His younger son, Sean, comes back to Amity to work in the police department. After Sean is killed by another Great White Shark during a buoy repair, Sean's mother (Lorraine Gary) believes that their family is intentionally being attacked by killer Great White Sharks.

2. Deep Blue Sea (1999)

- Deep Blue Sea 2 (2018)

Who doesn't love a movie featuring Samuel L. Jackson and LL Cool J? The answer is nobody. Throw in some killer sharks and a quest to find a cure for Alzheimer's Disease from shark brains and you have yourself one killer movie.

"Deep Blue Sea 2," coming out soon in 2018, is set to follow a scientist who is researching Bull Sharks. Unfortunately, the sharks begin to rebel and the scientists have to fight for their lives.

3. Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus (2009)

- Mega Shark Versus Crocosaurus (2010)

- Mega Shark Versus Mecha Shark (2014)

- Mega Shark Versus Kolossus (2015)

With a prehistoric shark large enough to jump and take a bite out of the San Francisco Bridge and an octopus whose legs can swat a helicopter out of the sky, you have yourself a battle for the ages. Who will win in a fight to the death between Mega Shark and Giant Octopus?

In "Mega Shark Versus Crocosaurus," the US Army has to try and stop a battle between the Megaladon and a Crocosaurus. Jaleel White (yeah, the guy who played Steve Urkle in Family Matters) plays one of the doctors trying to stop the shark. No matter who wins, the destruction is massive. As Urkle would say, "did I do thhaaattt?"

During the epic "Mega Shark Versus Mecha Shark," the government creates a robotic shark to try and defeat the Mega Shark that has been threatening humanity.

In "Mega Shark Versus Kolossus," Russia mistakenly wakes up a giant robot named Kolossus that was left over from the Cold War era. All the while, Mega Shark decides to wreck havoc in the oceans again. Who will terminate the other first?

4. Sharktopus (2010)

- Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda (2014)

- Sharktopus vs. Whalewolf (2015)

What do you get when the military crosses a Great White Shark and an octopus in a freaky experiment? A Sharktopus, of course! This divine creature can swim in the ocean and crawl its way onto land with the help of its eight octopus legs. Nobody is safe until the military attempts to re-capture the creature.

In "Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda," nothing good happens with a scientist decides to create a new species: the Pteracuda. A mix between a pterodactyl and barracuda, this creature escapes the lab and the only thing that can stop it is Sharktopus.

In "Sharktopus vs. Whalewolf," it's Sharktopus to the rescue! When another crazy scientist decides to create a new hybrid of wolf and killer whale, a Whalewolf is formed. Watch out for that full moon.

5. Shark Night (2011)

A lake house sounds like a perfect way to spend a vacation with your friends. That is until sharks show up! Keep an eye on your friends and stay out of the water.

6. Swamp Shark (2011)

If you think alligators are the biggest threat in the swamp, think again! This movie includes an animal smuggling deal gone wrong, a corrupt cop, partying on the bayou, and plenty of shark bites.

7. Sand Shark (2012)

Just when you think you're safe out of the water... NOPE! Now there are sharks that swim in the water AND in the sand, so there's nowhere you can run. Except maybe on top of the rocks. If you're a fan of the wrestler, Hulk Hogan, then keep an eye on the screen for his daughter, Brooke Hogan.

8. 2-Headed Shark Attack (2012)

- 3-Headed Shark Attack (2015)

- 5-Headed Shark Attack (2017)

If you thought one shark swimming towards you was bad, now you get two sharks for the price of one. A two-headed shark attacks a Semester At Sea cruiser and the students have to swim for their lives. If you pay attention, you might spot actresses, Carmen Electra and Brooke Hogan.

In the sequel, "3-Headed Shark Attack," the mutated three-headed shark attacks a cruise ship and its inhabitants use anything and everything they can to fend them off.

If you thought a three-headed shark was terrifying, then watch out for the five-headed shark! In "5-Headed Shark Attack," this monster chomps its way around the island of Puerto Rico during a surfing competition and no one knows how to defeat it.

9. Ghost Shark (2013)

Ghosts aren't real, right? And certainly not a ghost shark? In this thriller, some fisherman kill off a Great White Shark during a fishing trip and now the sharks' ghost has come back for revenge. There's nowhere to hide from this ghost because even the smallest drop of water allows the spirit to attack! Remember little Ruthie Camden (Mackenzie Rosman) from the TV show "7th Heaven?" Well, she's all grown up and has to defeat the ghost shark!

10. Sharknado (2013)

- Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)

- Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! (2015)

- Sharknado 4: The 4th Awakens (2016)

- Sharknado 5: Global Swarming (2017)

- Sharknado 6: Title Yet To Be Released (2018)

Making its way onto our TV screens and into our hearts in 2013, was the instant cult classic "Sharknado." When a hurricane strikes the Los Angeles coast, freak tornados appear. But not just any tornados...SHARK tornados. Rather, as it would be coined in the film, Sharknados! This story follows Fin Shepard (Ian Ziering) and his friends making their way through the city to make sure his ex-wife April (Tara Reid) and daughter Chloe (Aubry Pebbles) are safe from the storm. As more and more sharks come flying out of the sky, Ian has to think quick in order to stop the Sharknado from doing any more damage.

In the sequel, "Sharknado 2: The Second One," Ian became a local hero after stopping the first Sharknados while his wife became the famous author of "How to Survive A Sharknado." While they are traveling to New York, another hurricane strikes the East Coast and brings along with it more Sharknados. As the storm reigns on, the people of New York come prepared, ready to kill all the sharks as they fall. This sequel is full of surprise cameos by major stars including: Vivica A. Fox, Mark McGrath (leader singer of Sugar Ray), Billy Ray Cyrus, Pepa (from the hip-hop group Salt-N-Pepa), Andy Dick, Richard Kind, Al Roker (from the Today Show), Kelly Osbourne, Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan (from Live With Kelly and Michael), and many others.

"Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!," brings on more celebrities as they jump on the Sharknado bangwagon. This time the lineup includes, Frankie Muniz, David Hasselhoff, Ne-Yo, and Chris Jericho, as well as the many celebrities that started in "The Second One." As Fin and April travel to Florida for a much needed vacation, another Sharknado appears and then travels to Washington D.C. to take out the capital. After being launched into outer space with April, Fin ends up inside a Great White Shark and manages to fall safely back to the ocean after he gets his parachute to work from the inside out of the shark.

If you didn't catch the Star Wars reference in the title, "Sharknado: The 4th Awakens," as a throwback to "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," then let me be the first to point it out to you. If it's possible, even more celebrities make their cameos, including Cheryl Tiegs, Gary Busey, Todd Chrisley (and family), Stacey Dash, Gilber Gottfried, and Wayne Newton. In this film, it has been five years since the last Sharknado attack so Fin and his family have been resting easy. After a company managed to create atmosphere stabilizers to stop future Sharknados, Fin is going to Las Vegas for a family reunion. Unfortunately, new Sharknados have been popping up all over the place and they have to be stopped. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas...almost.

If you thought you'd be safe traveling out of the United States to get away from those pesky Sharknados, then you'd be wrong. In "Sharknado 5: Global Swarming," the Sharknados have made their way across the globe and onto other continents. Fin and his family must travel around the world to help put them to an end. To add another intriguing spin, April has become part bionic robot and their son gets trapped inside the Sharknado. Some new celebrities appearances include, Chris Kattan, Olivia Newton-John, Bai Ling, Tony Hawk, Charo, and Clay Aiken.

Finally, "Sharknado 6" is set to be released later this August, still with no title. The plot details, however, make it sound like a wild ride from beginning to end. The finale of the "Sharknado" series will supposedly include Fin using time-traveling powers, a fight against Nazis, Noah's Arc, knights, and dinosaurs. It's not a matter of HOW to stop the Sharknados, but WHEN.

11. Avalanche Sharks (2014)

There's no possible way any sharks could reach you while you're up in the mountains, right? WRONG-O. In this movie, it's Spring Break at a ski resort that's hosting a bikini contest. Unfortunately, there are some Native American cursed ice sharks that want to join the contest. The ice sharks definitely end up taking a BITE out of the competition.

No matter what shark movie you decide to watch, or better yet, all of them, you can't go wrong. Each movie is great in its own right due to the creative storytelling. Personally, I love them all because of the sheer audacity of how bad the graphics are made to be. But that's the whole point (except in "Jaws"). They're silly B-quality sci-fi movies made for the enjoyment of being ridiculous. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.