11 Country Songs That Speak To College Students

From Lady Antebellum to Tim McGraw.

3049
Storify

Before coming to college, if someone would ask, "What is your favorite type of music," my scripted response was, "Anything but country." But as soon as I started my freshman year out in the almost-real world, that changed. I found that country songs began relating to my feelings and activities more and more. Whether or not the artists intended the lyrics to resonate these meanings, many country hits are relatable and appealing to college students.

Spring semester is the hardest -- we all just want it to be summer. But whether or not the artists intended the lyrics to resonate these meanings, these are just a few of the country hits most relatable and appealing to college students all year-round.

"American Honey," by Lady Antebellum

"There's a wild, wild whisper / Blowin' in the wind / Callin' out my name like a long lost friend"

"Top of the World," by Tim McGraw

"Don't know where we're gonna be / But I know we're gonna be / Sitting on top of the world"

"Drink a Beer," by Luke Bryan

"So I'm gonna sit right here / On the edge of this pier / Watch the sunset disappear / And drink a beer"

"Play It Again," by Luke Bryan

"She was like, 'Oh, my God, this is my song / We've been listenin' to the radio all night long / I can't believe that it came back on, but here it is'"

"Wagon Wheel," by Darius Rucker

"So rock me momma like a wagon wheel / Rock me momma any way you feel / Hey momma rock me" (You know you've sang shouted it at the top of your lungs at some point.)

"Bartender," by Lady Antebellum

"8 o'clock on Friday night I'm still at home / All my girls just keep on blowing up my phone"

"From the Ground Up," by Dan and Shay

"And we'll build this love from the ground up / Now 'til forever it's all of me, all of you / Just take my hand / And I'll be the man your dad hoped that I'd be"

"Home Alone Tonight," by Luke Bryan and Karen Fairchild

"So let's go shot for shot for shot 'til we forgot what we came here to forget / Ain't a clock, a tick, a tock that's gonna stop a night we won't regret / So put your drink down, throw your camera up, flip it around and snap a payback picture / I'll send it to my ex, I'll send it to my ex and send 'em both a text / Saying we ain't going home alone tonight"

"You Should Be Here," by Cole Swindell

"It's one of those moments, that's got your name written all over it / And you know that if I had just one wish it'd be that you didn't have to miss this / You should be here"

"Break Up in a Small Town," by Sam Hunt

"I guess that's just how it goes / When you break up in a small town / I see our friends and they put on a show / Like they don't want me to know / So they give me the go-around"

"Bottoms Up," by Brantley Gilbert

"Let's give a toast to the good times / All y'all get your drinks up high / Everybody feelin alright / Damn right / Cause tonight it's bottoms up"

From Your Site Articles