11 Classic Movies Every Millennial Should Watch

Let's go old school.

120

As a millennial living life in the day and age of technology and social media, I often find myself scrolling through Facebook or watching Netflix for hours on end. A cornerstone of our conversations revolve around the latest popular TV shows or movies. With dozens of brand new shows coming out every year, it’s almost impossible to keep up. When it comes to the world of scholarly conversations, you will find that in some way or other, conversation drifts to classic literature or poetry. Educated people love to talk about Shakespeare or Jane Austen and as a student you are expected to know at least a few of these books.

This being said, I have to ask, why aren’t classic movies treated the same way as classic books? Old black and white films don’t seem very exciting and I can’t think of one friend of mine that would willingly watch one in their free time. Old movies are the backbone of our current fascination with the arts, and just because they were filmed in the 1940’s or 1950’s does not make them less relatable or intriguing.

As a woman who strives to be educated in all forms of the word, I feel like it is apart of my education to watch these movies and be able to hold my own when discussing scholarly topics like literature. They go hand and in hand. So as a fellow millennial and woman, I encourage you to browse the “Classics” genre on Netflix. There’s nothing wrong with New Girl or The Office, but allow yourself to drift back to a time of glamor or forbidden loves and peek into the lives of Hollywood’s golden age. In no particular order, here are 11 classic movies that everyone should see.

1. Gone With The Wind

Easily my all-time favorite movie, Margaret Mitchell's masterpiece about romance and the history of the Civil War has been a staple of southern ingenuity. Southern belle, Scarlett O'Hara, attempts to rebuild her life after the tragedies of the Civil War and sort through her relationships with Ashley Wilkes and Rhett Butler. It's romantic, heartbreaking and has some of the best cinematic scenes of any movie.

2. An Affair To Remember

A celebrity and a wealthy woman fall in love on a ship from Europe to America, despite being engaged to other people. They agree to meet at the top of the Empire State Building in 6 month's time. Full of elegant costumes and wonderful chemistry between Grant and Kerr, it's a must see.

3. The Picture of Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray wishes to remain youthful forever, but at what cost? He finds himself never aging physically due to a charmed portrait of himself, but his life of debauchery and hedonism eventually lead to his demise.

4. Casablanca

A man's former love comes into his nightclub with her new fiancé. Her new soon to be husband turns out to be a rebel pursued by the Germans, and his only hope is to be saved by Bogart. Full of drama and mystery, there's no wonder this movie has remained popular for years.

5. A Hard Days Night

The Beatle's first debut movie, this rock and roll comedy follows the 4 members of the band through a day in their lives- "mockumentary" style. If you enjoy the Beatles (and who doesn't?) give this movie a watch.

6. A Street Car Named Desire

Another stunning performance by Vivien Leigh, Tennessee William's A StreetCar Named Desire follows the lives of Stella Dubois and her sister Blanche as they live in post WWII Louisiana and tangle with the abusive leanings of Stella's blue-collar husband, Stanley Kowalski.

7. The Grapes Of Wrath

Arguably Steinbeck's greatest work translated into film- this movie follows a family moving to California after the Dust Bowl. Their journey is filled with hardships and they may come to realize that California is not everything they had hoped for.

8. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

In Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Monroe's character Lorelei is a young showgirl engaged to a business tycoon. Her fiancé's father believes her to be a gold-digger and has her followed by a private detective while on a cruise.

9. My Fair Lady

Another fantastic Audrey Hepburn film, My Fair Lady follows the social mobility of street vendor Eliza Doolittle who agrees to take speech lessons to improve her job prospects. Unlikely love interests abound, and the music alone will be stuck in your head for days.

10. For Whom The Bell Tolls

An American soldier fighting in the Spanish Civil War of 1930 falls in love with a young woman named Maria. Hemingway's classic novel comes to life in this romantic and thrilling film.

11. The Seven Year Itch

In probably the most iconic movie she ever made, Monroe plays the beautiful neighbor of Richard Sherman, who can't stop thinking about her. Time will tell if his dreams will become a reality.