11 Homey Christmas Songs

11 Homey Christmas Songs

These are songs I grew up associating with not just Christmas, but home.

108
11 Homey Christmas Songs
Emily Shpiece

Holidays can be hard for a lot of people. Christmas in particular has been hard for me since 2014; it's been hard to get into the Christmas spirit in the face of tragedy. These past years, in wake of the Paris and Beirut attacks and the results of the nation's most embarrassing presidential election, I've found spending the majority of December over 400 miles away from home to be hard. How can I prep for Christmas with my family, with activities we completed all throughout the month of December, when I'm so far?

But one thing that always brings this quiet energy and excitement for Christmas is listening to the music my mom always played every year. I get ridiculously emotional every time I hear these songs, and get excited each time they come on the radio by chance.

Here are a few of my favorites.

1. Happy Christmas (War is Over) - Sarah McLachlan

I don't know why I love this song so much but I just do. It reminds me of the bread rolls my mom makes for every holiday dinner. I'm not crying relistening to it, you are.

2. O Holy Night - Mariah Carey

Yeah okay I'm aware it isn't "All I Want for Christmas Is You" but it's an amazing song and I used to listen to it on repeat each Christmas when my mom "gave" me the album.

3. Mary's Boy Child (Oh My Lord) - Boney M

My mom, brothers and I sing and listen to this exclusively when going out to get our Christmas tree. Exclusively.

4. Do You Hear What I Hear - Susan Boyle

Susan Boyle's album is one we play annually. It's beautiful and makes me feel warm and at home.

5. Mistletoe Jam - Luther Vandross

My mom played this song as we decorated the tree every year. I just really like it- it doesn't feel like we're putting ornaments on until I hear it.

6. Blue Christmas - A Fine Frenzy

I just really like this rendition of the song.

7. Believe - Josh Groban

Uh, what are you talking about I used to bawl at the credits of The Polar Express? Who asked?

8. Linus and Lucy - Vince Guaraldi

It's a family tradition that when this song comes on, my dad, little brother and I all have to start dancing like the Peanut characters.

9. Last Christmas - Pudding Mix

YEAH okay, I don't enjoy this song as much anymore. And it's very likely that my older brother, if he's reading this, just cringed or closed the tab this article is open in. But I'm obligated to include it because I was obsessed with it as a kid. (Specifically the Hilary Duff version. But I'm not going to link that in here because I have some dignity).

10. Come All Ye Faithful - Celtic Woman

I really like Celtic Woman, and if I can't pick their entire discography I'll pick this one.

11. Silent Night

I don't have a favorite artist for this song. Every year, on Christmas Eve, my family would go to our church, and we'd sing this song with our congregation, while lighting candles everyone had. The sight and sound is a magic that always warmed my heart and made me feel that all was right with the world.