11 Outside BBQ Games To Play This Summer

Get off of your couch and switch from Wii Golf to Ladder Golf.

340
Jillee

Today's generation mostly knows about computers and iPads, while rarely playing outdoors and enjoying the fresh air. This summer, kids and adults alike should embrace the nice weather and enjoy going outside. One great summer activity is inviting over friends and cooking great food at a barbecue. It would be also be great to take a break from the stresses of life and let loose by playing games. Try combining these two things with these 11 outside games perfect to play at a barbecue:

1. Potato sack races

Even though potatoes don’t normally come in big burlap sacks anymore, you can still buy the bags from places like Party City, Amazon, and Walmart. You can either do individual races, relay races, or team races. To play, each person has their own bag that they must run to. Then contestants put both feet in the bag and hop to the finish. Both feet must stay in the sack and one hand must be on the bag at all times. The more people playing, the more fun it is!

2. Cornhole

Cornhole is a classic game for BBQs. The sets can be bought from Dick’s Sporting Goods or Walmart or can be made at home with some wood boards and simple instructions. You can play to whatever score you would like. You score one point when the beanbag on the board and three points if you get the bag into the hole.

3. Bocce

Bocce is another classic outdoor game. A game can be conducted with two players or with two teams. One team is chosen to throw the smaller, lighter ball to set the distance. Now it is the same team that threw the smaller ball’s turn to bowl the bocce ball. The next team rolls, and following them is the team that’s ball is farther away. The first team that gets to a predesignated score wins. The game is a lot of fun and can vary in length of time depending on the score and the ability of the players.

4. Ladder golf

Ladder Golf is another game that can be bought as a set or made as a Do-It-Yourself project. It is a stand with three rungs, and you throw a something called a bola (two golf balls attached to a rope) to try to score by wrapping it around the rung. After players from each team throw their bolas, the scores are counted. The top rung is worth three points, middle worth two, and bottom worth one. To win, a player must score exactly 21 without going over. This game is a lot of fun when players act defensively by trying to knock their opponent’s bolas off.

5. Human wheelbarrow race

This game, a highlight of childhood, takes place with teams of two. A player must grab their partner’s ankles so that the player acting as a wheelbarrow can walk using their arms. Once in this position, the race starts. The player holding their partner can walk or run while their wheelbarrow has to try to keep up with them by moving their arms faster. This race does not need any equipment and can be played anywhere there is room. This game, probably the most fun (and most dangerous) of the list because of its fast-paced nature and reliance on a partner.

6. Limbo

Limbo always comes with a lot of laughs. All you need to play is a rope or horizontal bar and two people to hold it or a stand to put it on (and some music to make it more exciting). The winner is the person who can get under the bar while it is at its lowest point. If you knock the bar off, fall, or duck under the rope, then you lose.

7. Water balloon toss (or fight)

Filling up the balloons and tying them is the hardest part of this game. After you set up the water balloons, you separate into pairs that start close together. Each time the balloon is successfully caught, players step away from each other until there is the last team standing. This game can quickly turn into a water balloon fight where children (or adults) just throw the balloons trying to get their opponents more soaked than they are.

8. Egg and spoon race

For this relay race, you break into two even teams. Players stand in a line and the first person starts with an egg on their spoon. They then must run the relay course, but if the egg falls, they must go back to the beginning and restart. After the first player returns with their egg still on their spoon, they must transfer it to the next person’s spoon without touching the egg. This process continues until each player of a team runs the course. The first team to finish wins. The game also has some other factors you can use to score it, such as how many eggs were dropped. This game is great for BBQs in the park or a backyard with simple, everyday objects.

9. Hula hoop contest

All you need for this game is a few hula hoops and some good music. Whoever can keep their hula hoop off the ground and spinning longest wins. This game comes with a lot of laughs when there are a lot of people who do not know how to hula hoop. Watching someone try to hula hoop can be a really funny sight, so not only do you get a good game out of a hula hoop contest, but you also get a good chuckle.

10. 3-legged race

These races can be a lot of fun. To play, you get a partner and tie your right leg to their left or vise-versa. After everyone has a partner, groups line up at the start. This game is fun because partners need to learn to work together to run to the finish line. If people are unable to communicate, then the partners will trip or fall a lot, making it a fun game to play as well as a fun activity to watch.

11. Lawn Twister

Lawn Twister is an outdoor version of the board game Twister. To set up, you need to make a circular stencil and get different colored spray paint. You paint circles on the grass and let them dry. You can either use the spinner from Twister if you have it or make your own. This outdoor twist to a classic game adds a new level of difficulty and a new element of fun.