11 Arcade Fire Songs to Listen to

11 Arcade Fire Songs to Listen to

While we wait for another Arcade Fire album, here are some of their best songs.

65
11 Arcade Fire Songs to Listen to
Stereogum

It's been three whole years since the last time we've heard from the Montreal-based band Arcade Fire. Three cold, long years without any new music, but if history has been any indicator- we could be seeing new music very soon. Since Funeral, Arcade Fire albums have been released every three years, suggesting that another album could potentially be in the works.

Aside from the speculation on my part, new songs have been debuted during an impromptu show in Paris (though nothing official,sadly), and several members of the band have said in interviews that a new album is just over the horizon. All of those bits of information can be found here.

Arcade Fire has become one of my favorite bands in recent history. They remind me of a suburban choir of angels reciting their views of the world we've created. (How's that for an exaggeration?) What I'm saying is that their larger than life sound is ultimately what has drawn me, and many others, to their music.

Though the new album has not yet arrived, the band has an entire selection of music for us to listen to while we wait. Here are 11 Arcade Fire songs to listen to so that we may ease over the next few months.

1. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)

Everyone needs more happy songs in their life. Sprawl II has an addicting beat and killer synth to make this a song that is impossible to sit still to. Regine's lyrical and vocal work only complement the song, letting us know that its okay to unwind and be yourself.

2. Keep The Car Running

Ever find that the music in a song is sometimes more catchy than the lyrics them self? Keep The Car Running is a prime example of that, keeping the listener paying attention to every little detail. The mandolin, the strings, the pizzicato, it all shows Arcade Fire's ability to pick up any instrument and roll with it.

3. No Cars Go

No Cars Go is a prime example of that larger than life feel I was referring to earlier. The long strokes from the strings and accordion mixed with the rapid fire drum beats feels like an orchestra gone off the rails. Throw in the choir like vocals from the band and you get goosebumps. Its very simple math really.

4. Porno

This song is a hidden gem for me. It shows Arcade Fire's ability to produce a meaning in a song that is laced with creativity. I couldn't name many songs with the same theme, and the fact that Arcade Fire has managed to deliver it with such emotion only improves the song.

5. The Suburbs

Arcade Fire is known for including an element of nostalgia in their songs. The Suburbs is completely covered in this feeling and it makes the song that much better. This piece definitely brings me back to the days of my childhood, playing with the neighborhood kids at the park. Its not a sad feeling, but then again, its also not a happy one.

6. Suburban War

Definitely the sad companion to The Suburbs, Suburban War explores the darker side of growing up. The somber melody is perfect for reflection alongside the very reflective lyrics. As we grow up, people grow apart and change. It was never our fault or anyone else's, but we still watched it happen. The fact that Arcade Fire was able to capture that in a song is nothing short of beautiful.

7. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)

Probably my favorite Arcade Fire song of all time, Neighborhood #1 feels like magic for the ears. Every note, every line comes across as dramatic even when the song slows down. Arcade Fire's baroque sound really comes to life in this piece as it compliments the still life of whatever resides in your surroundings or imagination.

8. Half Light II (No Celebration)

If there was ever a song I wanted to be played during shots of nature, it would be this one. Half Light II gives the sensation of flying over the landscape with drawn out notes and a catchy beat. The lyrics also deliver a bitter sweet feel to the song, showcasing a sense of loss. Somehow it is appropriate when talking about nature.

9. Intervention

When I first heard this song, the image of an old church popped into my head, with Sunday morning worshipers singing their hearts out. When I heard the song was actually recorded in a church, it all made sense to me. The organ is dominant in this song with every other element of the song dancing around it.

10. Reflektor

This song was my first exposure to the band, and it is very evident why it had me coming back for more. The entirety of this song feels like one large celebration. The drums and saxophone, mixed with an electrifying guitar riff really give this song a modern disco feel. It reminds me of Mardi Gras or Carnival, where everyone is all dressed up and on the street having a good time.

11. Wake Up

Before I die, I have to see this song preformed live. It is simply too perfect for the occasion. Every time I see a video of this song preformed in concert, it gives me chills. I can only imagine what it must feel like to witness this in the flesh. The vocals feel like they were meant to be heard by the world because there is so much heart in this song. Along side the instrumentals, it seems to get louder as it bursts into the last few minutes of the song, of which I can only describe as fireworks.