100 Years Of Wisdom

100 Years Of Wisdom

11 Life Lessons from a 100 year young woman

112
100 Years Of Wisdom
Bing

I am 19 years old and this is the summer of 2016, the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college. I have moved to Crossville, Tennessee for the summer to live with my uncle and to work in the Recreational Department at a private lake, Lake Tansi. My great grandmother lives on the lake, just two coves over from the beach where I work. Her name is Lillian Brooker; she is my mother’s grandmother. She is, as of July 18, 100 years young. She still lives at home, bur requires a rotation of nurses 24/7; for the two months that I am in town I become a part of the rotation.

1. Staying in bed all day is a sin.

This is what she says to me as I help her out of bed one morning. We then go through the morning routine and make our way to the kitchen for breakfast.

2. But if it is the only sin we commit today, I think He will forgive us.

This is what she says to me as we bypass her chair in the living room and head straight back to bed, after breakfast.

3. If you ever have to send something in an envelope, do not lick the glue.

This tip was given after opening more than 100 birthday cards in one night. She struggled with one envelope in particular and ended up ripping the whole thing apart. During that struggle, she said, “Never in my life!” I don’t know about you, but when a 100 year old says, "Never in my life," it’s a pretty serious manner.

4. That being said, when you go on an afternoon wheel chair walk and she stops you to look at the “most beautiful butterfly she has ever seen,” you stop!

When the wings were shut, it was an ordinary brown butterfly, but when the wings were open… the most beautiful blue. I stood there on a hill, holding the wheelchair until the butterfly flew away.

5. When she gets a new wheelchair and you get a new car all in the same weekend, the highlight of everyone’s day is taking trips down the driveway.

And, of course, she finds literally the only scratch on the car and points it out.

6. Always do it yourself because you can never fully trust anyone.

This deep piece of advice was given after she didn’t believe me when I told her I set her heating pad on the lowest setting.

7. If you don’t know, just ask.

She never really put this into words, but I picked up on it after playing 20 questions as to why the Wi-Fi password had to be next to the Wi-Fi box, as well as being interrogated on why I felt it was necessary to color my hair.

8. When you say you’re going to do something, you do it.

I’m not going to tell on myself or anybody else by elaborating on this, but… make like Nike and Just Do It.

9. If you ever feel left out or forgotten, find a Methodist church and sign up for their mailing list.

I figured this one out after going through stacks on stacks of old Christmas and birthday cards, looking for one address. We never really found the address, but we did find enough cards from the Methodist Church Group to last until her 200th birthday.

10. On your 100th birthday, you have the God-given right to be as sassy as you want.

I had the privilege of getting to spend the last night as a 99 year old and the first morning as a 100 year old with Ms. Lillian. The first act of sassiness was when she rang her bells at 11:55 p.m. and demanded that I sit with her until midnight when she was officially 100. Act two was when we officially got up for the day; she demanded coffee and a hairbrush. After I got the hairbrush, my grandmother, her daughter, came in and we all got to talking. After about five minutes, the main act of sassiness occurred. She spoke up from her wheelchair and said, “I want some coffee and it’s my birthday, so I am demanding attention!”

11. I am the favorite.

This might sound conceited but I have strong evidence: I’m the first one that earned her the title "great" grandmother and my pictures are the only ones on her refrigerator. But I say this mostly because she has this smile that I see on only two occasions: one, when she sees me and two, when I tell her I’ll be back tomorrow.

This summer has been full of adventures and memories that I will forever hold in my heart. There are many people who never have the opportunity to meet their grandparents, let alone their great grandparents. I consider myself extremely lucky and will never forget the lessons learned and the love felt.