100 Layers of What?!: The YouTube Craze

100 Layers of What?!: The YouTube Craze

Beauty Vloggers Are Crazy. But This is a New Level All Together.

124
iStock

I watch a lot of beauty videos on Youtube. I’m still trying to master using a Beauty Blender and often look up “how to blend” on the video sharing platform. Sometimes I’m glad I’m a beauty novice when I come across crazy beauty challenges these beauty vloggers take on. Recently, I think I’ve come across the holy grail of crazy; the 100 layers of makeup challenge. Multiple YouTubers have taken on different types of makeup and gotten millions of views because of it.

First off there is "100 Coats of Nail Polish."

This video was thanks to the over-ambitious Youtuber, Simply Nailogical. She often has some pretty insane nail designs but this was a new level even for her. It took her almost AN ENTIRE DAY to complete. Most people don’t even have the patience to do two coats of nail polish, let alone 100! However, watching her scrap off the giant polish mountain at the end is oddly satisfying and worth the eight-minute video.

Then there is "100 Layers of Liquid Lipstick."

For anyone who’s worn liquid lipstick, you know how inevitably drying it can be. My lips are puckering just thinking about putting 100 layers of it on. But thanks to Mayratouchofglam, we can all live vicariously through her. It ultimately took her the entire afternoon and night (which seems like a waste of a good day, to be honest.) After her nine hours of filming and reapplying, it resulted in 8 minutes of liquid lipstick nightmares. Again, watching her peel off the whole shebang at the end was very enjoyable.

How about ‘"100 layers of foundation"?

have you ever had a secret desire to look like a nude-colored tin man? No? Well I guess Jeely has. She decided to put on 100 layers of her daily foundation to see what the end result would be. It makes my wrists hurt to use my Beauty Blender for one layer of foundation, so I’d really like a follow-up video on after-pain for this video. It took her about five hours and resulted in her looking like some kind of plastic-aluminum skin hybrid barbie doll…cute.

Or "100 layers of mascara."

If you’ve ever wanted to recreate your sad, 3am-crying-drunk-girl look from sophomore year of college, 100 coats of mascara will do the trick. Nicole Skyes took to the challenge, inspired by Simply Nailogical, but as she said, she sucks at nails so why not annihilate her lashes? She didn’t say how long it took her to apply all 100+ plus coats, but ultimately she actually put on 120 layers since she also wanted to test how many coats were in a bottle. What ever makes you happy Nicole.

Ultimately, I think all of these women are completely nuts; like Britney Spears circa 2007, nuts. Makeup is way too expensive to be wasting it like this. But I guess if it gets you millions of views, you can afford to let it flow like sink water. Regardless, it was fun to watch. I’ve also learned there must be some kind of natural enjoyment in watching things peel off, because my favorite part of all of these was watching the removal process at then end. Don't judge, I know you liked it too.