DePaul University Slang and Jargon You Must Know

10 Words And Phrases DePaul University Students Use

Learn and understand these phrases and words before you start your college career at DePaul

733
Instagram

Are you thinking about attending DePaul University? If so, there is a whole lot to learn. I mean, learning about how to navigate the campus, and schedule is a must. So, did you ever think about the language DePaul students use? Each campus has their own culture and environment, and DePaul has a unique culture with the words and phrases students use. Here are 10 words and phrases DePaul University students use:

DIBS

No, this 'DIBS' is not claiming your spot for free parking during snowy days in Chicago. Instead Dibs is the mascot at DePaul, and stands for demon in blue suit. But wait? Isn't DePaul University a catholic university? Yes, it is in fact a Catholic school, but the reason why our mascot is the blue demon stems from tradition. When DePaul was founded in 1898, only men had sports teams and DePaul fans would scream out 'D-men' to show support, and this nickname evolved to the blue demon mascot.

The SAC

Who has the time to actually say the real name of this building? The SAC stands for the Arthur J. Schmitt Academic Center, and is a common phrase DePaul students say. This academic building is known for being one of the older buildings of DePaul, and students will have a class in this building at some point and sigh how they could not get Arts and Letters Hall.

Vinny

St Vincent de Paul, the saint this school is named after has left students at DePaul with more knowledge about himself and the Vincentian Mission. He is the patron saint of charity, and helped the poor in France with the help of St.Louise de Marillac. In 1625, both leaders founded the Congregation of the Mission. Students often refer to him as Vinny, and the Vinny Fest that takes place in the Fall leaves students knowing more about this inspirational leader.

Play at the Ray

What better way for the Ray Meyer Fitness Center at DePaul to have this catchy slogan so students are encouraged to be active? "Play at the Ray" is one of the many phrases heard at DePaul. In fact, students can buy a shirt from the Ray that has this exact slogan. The Ray Meyer Fitness Center is a four story gym that includes weights, racquetball courts, basketball courts, an indoor track, a swimming pool, a cafe and many exercise classes.

The Stu

This acronym means the student center, and is the central hub for student life. Students often tell each other to meet them at the stu, and the energy students bring to the campus is felt. At the stu, students can eat at the dining hall, go to the Brownstones cafe, and get involved at the office of student involvement. Also, many offices of DePaul are located in this building and many students employed at DePaul University work in this building.

What must be done?

As a school named after the patron saint of the charity, St Vincent always asked this question: what must be done? This question is heard at campus events, and clubs promote this catchy slogan as a way to discuss for change, and equality in society.

Stushi

You would either love stushi or hate it. Many DePaul students fall in love with the sushi that is served in the dining hall in the student center. Or a handful of students would never purchase this and would rather go to get their sushi off campus. A new word has been invented with the combination of the stu and sushi, and thus, 'stushi' is a word many DePaulians say.

Smokers Corner

Smokers corner is pretty self explanatory. A bunch of students meet outside of Levan Hall before or after their class and light it up while sitting on the steps.

The El

'This is Fullerton. Doors open on the right at Fullerton. Doors closing.' This phrase means you have caught the El, which stands for elevated trains. The Chicago Transit Authority has many train stations in Chicago, and DePaul students often use Fullerton to commute to other parts of the city. It is your golden ticket to the city. Catch the red, brown, or purple train, and all these train lines connect to other buses, and train lines.

The Pit

The pit is located in the SAC, and is an area where students gather to hang out or study. Students are often seen congregating the Bean, a cafe that serves coffee,smoothies,and treats.