10 Ways To Give Back This Holiday Season

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

142
flickr.com

The holiday season is one of the best times of the year. There is so much to do and so much happiness and love to spread. Giving back is one of the best things that could possibly be done during the holiday seasons. Giving back requires nothing but love. Here are 10 ways to give back this holiday season!

1. Donate Food to a Food Pantry

Food donations are a great and easy way to give back to your community. Buying non-perishable items are especially helpful during the holiday seasons. Items such as stuffing, canned corn, canned green beans, canned cranberry sauce, and canned tomatoes will make a difference in the lives of people in your community.

2. Write Holiday Card Out to Soldiers Over Seas

Writing holiday cards to those fighting for you overseas is a perfect way to spread holiday cheer! You can find an organization online to work with. This could be great service idea for anyone in an organization on campus to even a great idea to get your family and roommates involved in. Make someone's day brighter and better by showing them that you care and you are thinking of them. Organizations that you can work with are The American Red Cross or Operation Gratitude.

3. Make Care Packages for Soldiers

Creating a care package for soldiers overseas is a fun way to get involved in your community. Organizations such as the American Legion are always looking for volunteers to help create care packages. It is a great way to get involved in your community, as well as, get to know the stories of those whose loved ones are deployed. All care packages aren't going to be as intricate as the one above, but this small care packages of things we take for granted can really make someone's day.

4. Rake Leaves/ Shovel Snow for the Elderly

This act of giving back is more physically exerting, but it is a great way to get to know people in your community. I know people usually do this for money, but if you are physically able to, volunteer to help the elderly by cleaning out their driveway and sidewalks. It's dangerous walking outside when it's snowing, especially when the snow is up to your knees. Make it easier for someone who is not able to fully physically exert themselves. If you are not as strong, like me, raking leaves for your neighbors is also fun.

5. Make a Monetary Donation

Make a donation to any organization of your choosing, even if your donation is small. A donation of any size can make a real difference. Some organizations that myself or my family has made donations to in the past are The Salvation Army, St. Jude's Children Hospital, The Trevor Project, Charity Water, and Heifer International.

6. Make Food for a Family Member or Friend

This a fun and easy way to give back! Over the holiday season, life happens and someone you know may not be their best. Make their lives a little bit easier by making them a pasta dish which they can use for a meal or two. This is just another way to make someone's life brighter!

7. Appreciation Notes

This time of the year people start to feel run down from all of the hustle. Brighten the day of someone you love by making an 'I appreciate you jar'. You fill the jar with things you appreciate about the person or love about the person and then give it to them! It is sure to brighten their day and any days where life gets in the way!

8. Buy and Drop Off Toys or Games At a Hospital

Buy toys and games for children at a hospital or buy card games for adults that are at the hospital. This is something that can really brighten the day of someone who is spending their holiday season in the hospital. The patient could be their overnight or for a long period of time, but at least they will have something to take their mind off of their worries.

9. Put Candy Canes on Random Cars

This is a cute idea that will make everyone's day brighter! A small act of kindness such as this one is all that it takes. Candy canes are really cheap and you could candy cane the cars parked on the street around your block. You could go to a public place and candy cane the cars there.

10. Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen, Hospital, or Animal Shelter

Take the time to volunteer to meet with the people or animals you are helping. Get to know the people in your community. Volunteering is the best way to spread cheer, especially at places where things may seem dim.

Happy Holidays everyone! Make someone's day brighter!