10 Ways Collegiate Theatre Prepares You For Life

As told by a life long theatre nerd

36
Matthew Wright, Fig Tree Photography

I am a huge theatre nerd. I have been on the stage since I was three years old and I am a firm believer that the work that is done to build a show is life altering and has the power to teach you to be a better human being. As well as preparing you for everything that life could possibly throw at you!

1. You have developed excellent memorization skills

While your classmates freak out about all of the terms and vocabulary you have to memorize before the next exam, you aren't sweating it. you can memorize six pages of Shakespeare in an hour! Bio's a breeze! This life skill will help you in every aspect of your future, your bosses schedule, memorized, your future kid's after school activity schedule, memorized.

2. You're the master of quick changes

You've just gotten back from the theatre in your sweats, hair in a messy bun and that old production t-shirt from middle school and all your friends want to go out for drinks and half priced apps, they've already ordered the Uber and you have 10mins or they're leaving without you. No worries! You can change in 2 minutes flat, makeup touch up in 5, and pull your hair down and twist it into a trendy side braid in less that 3 minutes. You're golden.

3. You've know how to breathe deeply

It may seem silly to lay on the stage for what seems like hours on end, learning where and how to breathe, like it isn't a basic function we all come pre-programmed with, but it really comes in handy in stressful situations. You can fly up three flights of stairs and have control over your breath by the time you make it to your class at the end of the hall. You can remind yourself to breath in stressful situations and regain your clarity of mind. You know where your center is and you can always return to your balance.

4. You know your way around power tools

This is a life skill that so many young people lack. Luckily in the theatre, understanding of tools and what they do is all part of the job. Set build is a team effort, and so is striking it all down after! Before collegiate theatre I did not know how to use half the tools in the workshop, but now if something breaks I'm the first to try and fix it myself!

5. You have a built-in family on campus

Its so nice to know there is a whole group of people on campus who just get you. A group of people who you can text any hour of the day or night and you know they've got your back. They've been there for 2am break downs, rant sessions about the costumes and questionable blocking. They've watched you grow as an actor, and you've watched them take incredible artistic risks. As a bonus there's no obligation to be attached at the hip, because you know they're just as busy as you are. Boom! Life long friends.

6. You've gotten really good at time management

When rehearsal is from 6-10:30pm, and you have three papers, and two homework assignments due by tomorrow, you get really good at being creative about when you get work done. That break between your 11am and your 2pm classes becomes prime homework time, and sometimes class time becomes snack time. You'll grab something to eat on your way to the theatre at 5:40 and be there by 5:45, giving you 10minutes to eat and get on stage to begin working by 5:55. Oh and don't forget the gallon of coffee you're going to need to achieve all of this!

7. You know how to say "yes"

There are a ton of changes, challenges and overall scary things that will be thrown at you in your early twenties and recently the trend of knowing how to say "no" (although important) has diminished the power in saying "yes". In my four years of college there would have been so many beautiful and amazing opportunities I would have missed out on if I hadn't taken the risk and said "yes" to the things that initially scared the living hell out of me. The risks you take on stage are practice for what it means to say "yes" to risks in real life.

8. You are 100% comfortable with eye contact

People don't make eye contact, if someone looks you in the eyes for longer than five seconds it usually means their going to kiss you or punch you square in the jaw. If there's one thing theatre trains into you is how to be comfortable with eye contact. Which is a lifeskill that has proven its self handy in every professional setting, job interview and has landed me multiple employment opportunities.

9.You know how to play

In our success driven society, a person's worth is often measured by how many zeros are in their bank account and how many hours they clock in a day. Knowing how to shake that off and just play is the most liberating counter attack to this poisonous way of thinking. In a world filled with corporate robots, be the one that rolls around on the floor, laughs at themselves and enjoy life's simple joys.

10. You gain a deeper understanding of those around you

When you embark on your college theatre life, you might notice that its not the same as the clicky high school drama club you left behind. These are serious artists who are focused on telling truthful stories that carry deep meaning to the audience. You recognize that every person in the room with you has a story, carries their own pain and to create along side of them is to be vulnerable, and genuine. When you recognize these qualities in those around you, you develop patience and can more easily extend to them grace and understanding.