10 Of The Most Underrated Kick-Ass Female Roles On TV

The strong female leads that everyone needs to know about and most definitely add to their watch list.

146
YouTube | Comedy Central

We all know how the entertainment industry needs some serious work when it comes to accurately representing minorities and women. In television, we are looking for characters that are more than just tokenized for their gender or race. We want characters who stand out as well rounded and accurately represented without the weight of stereotypes.

Obviously, shows like these do exist, but many go unnoticed and aren't really given the views and attention they deserve. Below are 11 underrated TV shows with some awesome and complex female characters. Characters like these should be a rule in Hollywood, not just an exception to please the female audience.

1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

In every generation, there is a chosen one. She alone will stand against the vampires the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the slayer. Oh, and she might have a test in her 12 o'clock chemistry class, but who can think about that after a whole night spent closing a Hellmouth and preventing an apocalypse?

This cult classic has the complexities of a young girl who has the weight of the world on her shoulders while also including humor and real-life teenage problems into the mix.

Available on Hulu

2. The Bold Type

This amazing new show on Freeform is based on the women of Cosmopolitan magazine. The staffers of Scarlet Magazine struggle to address real-life issues in their careers and personal lives dealing with race, sexuality, and gender.

This show unashamedly looks at how women deal with these issues in a realistic way, from finding peace in sexual identity to writing and opening up about personal stories as a woman.

Available on Hulu

3. Jane the Virgin

This series stars Gina Rodriguez as Jane Villanueva, who as a young girl promised herself to keep her virginity until marriage. however, after a little mishap at the gynecologist for what she thought was just a pap smear, she ends up pregnant.

This series does an amazing job of addressing issues like sexuality and personal values. This show is also a great example of creating female characters that are complex and have realistic relationships with other female characters.

Available on Netflix

4. Anne with an E

This Netflix original is based on the book "Anne of Green Gables," a story about an energetic young girl with wild dreams and aspirations that bring her the love, family, and friends that she’s always wanted.

Although it isn't exactly the same as the original story, Anne still shares the same strong relationships with the women in her life and has the strong will of a kick-ass woman herself. I also recommend watching the "Anne of Green Gables" Miniseries and reading the book by L. M. Montgomery.

Available on Netflix

5. Broad City

This series is created, written, and starred by the comedians and creators Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer. Originally a web series then picked up by Comedy Central, this show follows the daily mishaps and quirks of Abbi and Ilana while using humor to address issues of race, gender, and sexuality.

Available on Hulu and Comedy Central online

6. Wynonna Erp

This series is a lot like Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a lot of wild west mixed in there. Wynonna returns home with her magic pistol to continue her inherited destiny as an Earp of fighting and killing resurrected demons bound to her hometown of purgatory (can't get more obvious than a name like that).

Available on Netflix

7. Chewing Gum

This series follows the life of 24-year-old virgin, Tracy Gordon who finally decides that she wants to put herself out there and have sex. set in London this hilarious show uses plenty of humor while also empathizing to Tracy's particular situation. It also does a great job of addressing sexuality and what it means to be a woman who grew up in a religious household.

Available on Netflix

8. Quantico

This series starring Priyanka Chopra follows the lives of young FBI agents as they go through training at Quantico to become professionals. when a terrorist attack takes place, an accused agent Alex Parish (Chopra), must find out which of the new recruits is responsible. This diverse cast of women takes kick-assery to a whole new level as they prove that there can be multiple women in one show who play powerful and intelligent roles, just as men do in any other show know to exist.

Available on Netflix

9. Orphan Black

This series starring Tatiana Maslany follows the complex storyline of Sarah Manning and her many clones. Taking on government conspiracies and other drama, this show is an example of incredible acting by one woman and creating such complex female characters.

Available on Amazon Prime Video

10. The 100

This post-apocalyptic show is filled with a diverse cast and shows incredible female character writing. After spending years on a ship floating in earth orbit, 100 convicted teenagers are sent back to earth to test out if it is safe to return to their home planet. this show is filled with action and amazing female character development throughout the seasons.

Available on Netflix