10 Unconventional Must Do's in Florence, Italy

These are not your typical tourist attractions you'd find on yelp, but are still certaintly must do's before you say "ciao" and leave Firenze.

230
Pexel

If you have done any research on Florence, Italy you know that the top tourist attractions are: Climbing the Duomo, seeing the statue of David by Michelangelo, and going to the world famous Uffizi museum. While these are certainly must do attractions there is more that meets the eye in Florence. In no particular order:

1. Work Hard, Play Harder

This one is really for study abroad students (and for saftey reasons should only be done with a large group of people, with respect to the city and Italian culture). If you're lucky enough to spend a whole semester (or maybe even longer) in Florence you better be able to leave saying you saw the city at all hours of the day and night. This means staying out the entire night. Though the clubs may close around 4:00 am, don't go home. Simply wander. Look at the architecture. Appreciate the still of the night, or perhaps the unrest. Either way, watch the sunrise. Embrace the fact you are starting a new day alive in a different country and take my word there is no better feeling than that. And remember after sleeping for a few hours to take the next night off and catch up on all that homework you have to do!

2. Truffle Hunting

This is a great experience, and can be discovered through airbnb! A man will take you to his home that overlooks all of Florence. He teaches you about the six different types of truffles, how they have been traditionally hunted, the modern rules, and the delivery process. Then you will go with him and his dog into woods around his property and begin hunting. Afterwards, he cooks truffle pasta, which is of course served with wine. He'll typically put on opera music and read part of a book he is writing about truffles aloud.

3. Horseback Ride Through Chianti

This can be done through a company called, Fun In Tuscany. Basically in small groups you will ride through vineyards and olive groves. It is the best way to explore the Tuscan countryside and no experience is necessary. After, the tour stops in another town San Gimignano, famous for its medieval towers and squares. Finally you will visit a local winery for a typical Tuscan lunch, combined with a wine tasting class.

4. Secret Bakeries

These industrial bakeries bake in the middle of the night, or early hours of the morning, to cook pastries that fill the shelves of all of Florence's bakeries for the next day. Some will let you eat a hot, fresh pastry for only a euro or so in return. Half of the fun is exploring and finding where these secret bakeries are located yourself, so good luck!

5. Go an Entire Day Without Speaking English

Easier said than done, I know. This is extremely difficult to do in Florence as there so many tourists, American students and locals, who are familiar with English. But, if you make real effort to test your Italian skills in this authentic setting (hello, what better to place to practice Italian than in Italy) you are guaranteed to learn more than you would through Duolingo or in a classroom. It is sure to be a memorable day, full of charades and laughter.

6. Aperitivo

Aperitivo is not dinner, but rather equivalent to a small appetizer in America, with the emphasis on the cocktail, most commonly a Spritz. The classic apertivo drink, Sprtiz is mixed with Aperol, prosecco, and soda. It is an incredibly social event, cheap (often ranging from five to fifteen euros) and flexible. The name aperitivo comes from the Italian verb "aprire," which means to open, the idea being that the drink "opens" your stomach and prepares you for your dinner. Take the time to live like a true Italian! Colle Bereto and Grand Hotel Minerva are two great restaurants to do aperitivo.

7. Explore the City Solo

Exploring any place is exciting, but doing it alone is even more thrilling. When you're alone you are left with only your thoughts. Being in touch with your emotions and feelings is extremely healthy and beneficial. Ride the entire public bus route and pay attention to your surroundings. Jot down places or things you would like to know more about, but don't look them up right away, i.e. do not let your phone distract you!!! If this is too intimidating go sit in a piazza and channel you inner philosopher. Write about absolutely anything in a notebook, or maybe just people watch (it's more thereuptic than you may think). Understanding human connection is the only way we can ever understand ourselves.

8. Find "Home"

Home is where the heart is. But, your heart is more likely to be somewhere if you connect and develop relationships with people. Therefore make a genuine effort to form relationships, and that means more than adding a person you meet in a club on Snapchat. I was able to achieve this by connecting with the owner and employees of a restaurant. Many perks came with this, such as free wine and a bottle of limoncello and olive oil to take back to America. When I return to Florence "my restaurant" will be one of the first places I visit. Where will your home away from home be?

9. Visit Villa San Michele

Villa San Michele is a beautiful Villa located in Fiesole, which is a town that overlooks Florence. It is a hotel, but the La Loggia restaurant is an experience in itself. By visiting and dining at this Villa you will get a true taste of Tuscany with it's panoramic views, inexplicable architecture, and of course delicious, authentic food. You are sure to leave the 15th century terrace full and happy. Keep in mind this experience is a little more costly, but if you're on a strict budget you can still take the public bus to Fiesole. The quaint town is 100% worth a visit.

10. When in doubt, EAT GELATO!

Eat it ALL. Once a day? WHAT, that's it? Twice a day? Now we are talking,but dare I say three? "YOLO" and "#treatyoself" are valid reasons to consume as much gelato as your heart desires. You're only in Italy for so long! But, remember any gelateria that charges a small gelato for over four euros is a tourist trap. Likewise, stay away from any gelateria that also sells waffles. For authentic gelato try gelateria Dei Neri (my personal favorite).

I created this list based on my experiences of studying abroad for an entire year. But, the fun is in discovering what your personal "must do's" are. And remember what happens in Firenze, stays in Firenze (especially the gelato... ice cream in America will never taste the same again, I promise you).