10 Tips To Make Traveling Easier

10 Tips To Make Traveling Easier

To help solve the little bumps in the road that really do make all the difference

66
10 Tips To Make Traveling Easier
Best Western

If you have ever traveled by plane, you know sometimes flying can really be a hassle. The limited space and icky food options can really be the worst part of your vacation. Luckily, my family and I have picked up on some nifty tricks that you can use for your next flight to make it a bit more bearable. I’ve done my fair share of check-ins and been through more security checks than I can count. I have made the mistakes for you, so now all you have to do is follow these 10 tips, and traveling will be a breeze!

1. Stock up on food at home or after security checks.

I can’t tell you home many times I have regretted not bringing my own food onto flights. As long as it’s not liquid (or over three fluid ounces) and it’s not open, you can bring it through security! If you don’t feel like packing from home, airports are always stocked to the brim with every snack option you could ever wish for.

2. Take advantage of the two carry-on rule.

In case you didn’t know, each person is allowed two carry-on bags: one carry-on and one personal item such as a purse or backpack. Having these two bags can eliminate weight in your checked bag, and give you a bit more space for souvenirs on your way home.

3. Avoid exchanging currencies in the airport.

Airport currency machines take anywhere from 3 percent to 15 percent of the money you put in as a transaction fee. To avoid this, go to your bank before your trip and find out if they do currency exchanges -- most banks do! If not, a lot of international businesses or ATMs can make the exchange for you with a significantly lower fee.

4. Try to only bring one or two magazines or books in your luggage or carry-on.

What a lot of people don’t know is how much their favorite magazine actually weighs. Flyers can eliminate multiple pounds from their suitcases by limiting the amount of novels or gossip magazines they carry. It can even be the difference you need to avoid at massive $100 fine for overweight luggage at check-in!

5. NyQuil is your best friend on redeye flights.

If your flight is overnight, or you just have trouble sleeping in moving vehicles -- like this girl right here -- travel-friendly NyQuil is your best friend. One dosage before/during your flight and you will have the best sleep of your life.

6. Set alarms.

This sounds strange and incredibly disruptive, but alarms are so helpful. If you know what time you’re going to arrive, set your alarm for approximately 45 minutes before landing. This will give you enough time to wake up, eat (if they offer it on your flight), and get all your belongings together before you landing. Alarms can also help if you need to get a bit of work done on the flight, while also allowing yourself time to sleep. But please, take these few precautions before you set alarms: put headphones in so no one else hears it go off, make your alarm vibrate instead of ring -- if you have a FitBit or Apple Watch, set a silent alarm so your watch will vibrate and not disturb everyone else.

7. Bring only three or four things to do with you on the plane.

Reality is, you won't use everything you bring with you in your carryon. I learned the hard way. Bringing four magazines and my laptop and a book and my phone and my iPad and all my makeup made me more miserable and disorganized than comfortable and occupied. I spent more time arranging and rearranging my baggage than I did actually using the objects I brought. Try to limit yourself to only one electronic (in addition to your phone), one magazine or book to read, and one or two other small items. For my other items, I chose to bring my makeup and a small bag of popcorn.

8. Put all your liquids in a small plastic bag

A lot of the time, security will ask you to remove your liquids and it's a lot easier to remove all the liquids from your carryon if they're all in a single plastic bag. Depending on your airport/airline, some checkpoints require you to have all liquids in a single plastic bag, and this hack will help relieve a little bit of the hassle at the airport.

9. Try and book your flight for a weekday.

If possible, make sure your flight is on a weekday. Weekdays are significantly less popular days for flying, which means they're cheaper and there's a better chance that the seat next to you will be free -- that extra seat makes all the difference. It gives you that extra little legroom for when you sleep, or the perfect spot for your laptop when you're eating.

10. Wear a jacket or sweater.

Jacket, sweater, giant scarf, or blanket will do -- be ready for the cold because it's going to be cold. I can't remember that last time I was at a comfortable temperature on an airplane. On my last flight to Spain, I brought a fuzzy blanket scarf with me, and it was probably the best decision I have ever made. I was warm and cozy the whole flight, and as soon as I had to get off, I simply wrapped it around my neck and walked out of the plane without any extra baggage.