10 Tips To Get Through A Midwestern Winter

From a Midwesterner.

84
WRN

Going through your first Midwestern winter can be brutal, especially if you are a fellow coastie. Going to school in Wisconsin, I know first hand how difficult it can be to adjust to the first dip into single digits. But if you follow these ten tips, you'll be sure to brave the storm and make it out alive.

1. Get a long coat.

Even if you look silly and feel dumb at first, you will NOT regret it. If you look like you are wearing a sleeping bag you are doing it right.

2. Learn that the answer to hot coco will always be a yes.

3. Keep telling yourself that the weather really isn't that bad and that tomorrow will most definitely be worse.

4. Focus on the positives like the pretty snow, or pictures on the frozen lake.

5. Realize that soup is now its own meal of the day.

Breakfast, soup, dinner repeat.

6. Disobeying your mom and not wearing a jacket to school is just a comical memory from high school at this point —something you will never do again.

7. Understand that some days you don’t wear just a jacket, but also a hat, gloves, thick socks and possible toe warmers.

8. Try wearing two pairs of leggings, leggings under your jeans or fleece thermal leggings to keep your legs warm.

9. Learn to take the bus for days when it’s unbearable to walk. And make a good playlist for the days you do decide to walk.

10. Suck it up.

If you don’t think about it, before you know it, it will be spring! Going through the winter in the Midwest just makes you that much tougher and badass in the end.