10 Tips For Starting A New Semester As Told By 'Monsters University'

58
Fandango

Whether you're starting your first semester of college or your last semester, there are ways to improve your experience each time. I'm certain that you'll always be discovering new tricks down the road, but since another semester has just begun, I thought I'd share what I have learned so far. With that said, here are 10 tips for starting a new semester as told by 'Monsters University!'

1. Have a copy of your schedule at all times

Who knows, maybe you'll forget the room number for your psychology class or a friend will want to compare classes. Having it printed or saved on your phone will definitely help!

2. Wait one to two weeks to buy textbooks, & check places besides the campus bookstore

You might not even need the textbook that is "required" for the class, so make sure to wait until the professor mentions it or puts it in the syllabus. Also, Amazon and Ebay are great alternatives for Barnes & Noble, since their prices are usually lower. If even those prices are too high and you only need the textbook for a week or two, check out the campus library.

3. Figure out which clubs & activities you can do according to your new schedule

Clubs usually meet at the same time each week and if you have a class at that time, you might not be able to be a member this semester. Also, you might have to change the shifts you work, so make sure your boss knows!

4. Give your roommate a copy of your schedule

This would be good so he/she knows when you'll be at class, when to wake you up if you oversleep, when you'll be doing homework, when you'll have friends over, etc.

5. Call home and text your high school friends once in a while

Your parents and friends will be busy too, but don't lose touch with them! Catching up once in a while will brighten both of your days, and they'll also be your support system for whenever things get stressful at college.

6. Use your planner for everything

You haven't gone to classes or done homework in over a month because of winter break, so you're bound to forget something if you don't write it down. Trust me, a planner is worth using!

7. Don't spend all your money too quickly

If you're complaining about being broke just a few weeks into the semester, maybe learning how to budget will help you save in the future.

8. Be open to making new friends

Just because you think you found your "group" already doesn't mean that you can't make more amazing friends. I bet there are a ton of people in your residence hall and in your classes who you don't know yet.

9. Be involved, but not too involved

If you're taking more credits this semester than you did last semester, being just as involved in clubs and work might be tricky. It's important to build a strong resume, but don't over work yourself!

10. Plan your naps ahead of time & set multiple alarms

Remember when you missed that class in which attendance counted because your one-hour nap turned into a three-hour one? Yeah, you should try to avoid that this semester.

I hope these 10 tips for starting a new semester were helpful and that you have an amazing semester!