10 Tips For Final Exam Time

10 Tips For Final Exam Time

10 helpful tips to boost your test-taking awesomeness.

13
10 Tips For Final Exam Time
Bachelor's Portal

For many of us, we are in the final stretch of the semester, or maybe even college in general. All we can think about are all of the fun things we can do once we have completed our exams. However, we still have a lot of work to do before we can call it quits. Below I have provided 10 really helpful tips to follow when preparing and studying for your final exam. Following all or even some of these tips may help to make your studying experience a little more bearable as well as boost your exam scores.

1. Review the most difficult information first:

When sitting down for a long study session, you will inevitably run out of brain power and energy. If you begin with the most difficult information, and move to the information you know most, you will be less focused on what you already know as opposed to the information that you really should be absorbing. Another tip is to review the most difficult information the night before the test, so that it is even fresher in your memory.

2. Alternate study spots:

Studies have shown that we are more likely to retain information that we learn in new and exciting environments. Each time you go to study, try to pick a different location, even if it’s in a different spot in your house, or choosing the fluffy chair in the library instead of the wooden one!

3. Eat Healthy:

When finals are coming up, try to be aware of what you’re eating the day of, and days leading up to your final exams. What we eat has a tremendous effect on our brain’s ability to function and recall needed information. Along with eating a healthy diet, try to increase your intake of water to keep up your energy and mental focus.

4. Take a break—do some cardio:

If you are needing to take a quick study break or a longer one during the week from studying, opt for more of a physical activity as opposed to a mental one. Studies have shown that just 20 minutes worth of cardio work can improve memory and overall brain function. Small exercise breaks like this will also help to reduce your stress levels and increase your memory.

5. Silence the media:

In the days or even week leading up to your finals, think about silencing notifications on your phone, or even temporarily deleting your social media apps. We all know how tempting it can be to constantly check all of our social media accounts just to keep ourselves from studying and doing what we really need to. Let’s be honest, who can resist the smorgasbord of distracting videos that Facebook has to offer?

6. Ask your classmates:

A helpful thing I have found is to ask my classmates how they are studying for the final and what kind of methods they are specifically using. Often times, everyone has their own off-the-wall way of studying, that maybe you have never thought of. It’s as simple as shooting them a text or asking them in person what they are doing to study! Maybe you will be able to adapt some of their study habits and vice versa.

7. Make a list:

Make a list of the categories or subjects you need to study. Organize them in an A, B, C fashion, making the “A” items the critical information to learn, “B” items as things you should also study but that may be less important and the “C” items as things you just want to go back and review.

8. Review the test:

So when you finally enter the dreaded moments of actually taking your final, first take a few seconds to visually scan the entire test. Look for patterns in the questions, differences in types of questions such as multiple choice or essay and make mental notes of the areas of the test in which you can breeze through and those that may take you longer. This short action will help you to access quickly how you should use your time during the testing session.

9. Stay till the bitter end:

Nothing is better than leaving a class early, especially after taking an intense exam. However, it’s really beneficial to stay longer than you might normally to review your answers and to make sure you understood what all of the questions were asking. Also, you may find that at the last minute you remember a crucial piece of information that you needed for many of the questions.

10. Don’t do it:

I have been there and know all too well. If you don’t know the information by now, then pulling an all-nighter will certainly not increase your chances of getting a better grade. Going without even one night of sleep can affect your mental performance during your test the next day, and for days to come. Choosing to get more rest will probably benefit you much more in the long run, allowing you to recall information and think more clearly during your exam.