The 2016 Rio Olympics may have ended weeks ago but I, as a former gymnast, can't help but keep thinking about the Final Five (especially because I'm excited to watch Laurie Hernandez on Dancing With The Stars this season). I guess I should inform you that I was in gymnastics from the time I was 2 years old until about the age of 13 when I then decided to pursue other sports. Anyway, whenever I watch gymnastics, whether that be the Olympics or not, I always get the same thoughts running back through my mind, thinking back to the good old days. So, I'd like to share the thoughts that ran through my mind while watching the Final Five in hopes that I am not alone in the former gymnast feels.
1. OMG, those leos are SO gorgeous! I miss leo shopping.
I loved all of their leos but these were beyond my favorite. I would be lying if I said I didn't want to own one myself.
2. Did my parents look like this?
3. OMG, I used to dance to other teammates' floor routines, too!
4. How, Simone, how?
No matter how many times I practiced full turns on beam I could never fully trust myself when it time for competitions. Full turns are death traps. Teach me your secret ways, please.
5. AW, Aly, let me hug you! I'm hugging you through the screen! I'm so proud of you!
There's no better feeling than that moment when you know all the hard work and dedication has paid off. That feeling of accomplishment.
6. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow x 100.
7. You got this Gabby, you got it...
Do you know how much strength it took to save that? Holy cow, that was the prettiest save ever. I don't remember having any saves... I think I just fell. Still proud of you Gabby!
8. Too bad my love for gymnastics didn't end with me meeting Zac Efron.
9. I wanna be on Jimmy Fallon with my best friends/teammates!
10. Martha Karolyi, you never change! I'm going to miss you so much!! You're a legend in the Gymnastics World!!
I may have gotten emotional when the girls announced the team name...
Watching these girls made me miss those gym days and competition weekends. So many great memories come back when I watched the Final Five, and it's crazy how far gymnastics have come. I remember obsessing over the Magnificent Seven (as soon as I was old enough to do so). I can't wait to see what happens in the next Olympics. Until then: Laurie, I will be seeing you and rooting for you on Dancing With The Stars.