10 Things Your Server Wishes You Knew

10 Things Your Server Wishes You Knew

31
10 Things Your Server Wishes You Knew

Unless you have been a server before, you probably don't know there are a few things that drive your server crazy. It is a handful to have to deal with the general public on a daily basis. Here a few tips and tricks to help you make your meal a little more bearable for everyone involved.

1. Do not take your bad day out on us.

We are sorry you had a bad day. We truly are, but that does not give you the right to take it out on us and treat us like crap. We are not the boss that fired you, or the guy that cut you off on the highway and then decided to slow to 10 miles per hour. We are simply here to serve you your meal.

2. Be polite.

Weunderstand that we are here to serve you, but that does not mean that we are beneath you. This is our workplace and you have yours, so be polite. Say please and thank you and don't get snippy. We are just as human as you are. We demand the same respect.

3. Understand we don't cook the food.

We wrote down that you wanted your burger cooked well done, American cheese, no onions, extra tomatoes, no lettuce, mayo and ketchup, but no mustard. We are deeply and apologetically sorry that the cook did not follow the order. Do not blame us. We can take it back to the kitchen, but that doesn't guarantee that it will be right this time.

4. Realize being rude will get you nowhere.

Do not bark your order at us. We are not a dog. We can promise the ruder you are to us, the worse service you are going to get. We will make your evening very uncomfortable if you treat us without respect. If you are nice to us, we can promise you will enjoy your evening and we will be the best server you have ever had.

5. Tip well.

Do you know how much a server makes per hour? Less than minimum wage. We rely on your tips to make ends meet. When you leave us your leftover pocket change and some lint, we want to hunt you down. Be courteous; if we did a good job, leave at least 15 percent. Please.

6. Do not touch your server.

We beg you, don't touch us. Don't try to hold our hand or pat our back. Definitely do not try to untie my apron. It's not cute or funny. You are in the wrong kind of establishment if you think you can touch us. All hands must remain to yourselves at all times. Thank you and enjoy your meal.

7. Do not hail us.

Do not hail us. We are not a taxi. Do not whistle either. We are not a dog. You make us want to scream when you do this. Please, patiently wait until we get to you. I am your server, not your servant. You have to realize we have other tables and other guests. Our day does not revolve around you like you may want us to.

8. Let us finish.

At your job you have specific things you have to do. Understand that so do we. We are required to tell you about the specials of the day. Before you go cutting me off and telling me you are not interested and demanding something, let me finish. Please and thank you.

9. Don't send us back and forth on a million trips.

You're human and I understand that. We all forget things, but could you please try not to make me run back and forth? Try to remember everything your table may need at once so we don't have to make eight trips. I would gladly get you more napkins, a straw, hot sauce and a new drink. But could you ask at once and not each time as soon as I come back?

10. Don't come in at the last possible second.

We close at 11, and you come in at 10:45 and order a huge meal. We weren't getting ready to go home or anything. We didn't mind. Take all the time you want. We don't have a life. We only just worked a 12-hour shift. Might as well wait for you to take your grand ole time.