10 Things You Know To Be True If You're From Harrison Township

HTP? Where's that?

1569
Harrison Township

If you come from a small town, you know that it is fairly easy to know your way around. You run into people you know almost anywhere and it is not uncommon for others to not even know your hometown exists. Harrison Township is a small town in Macomb County. If you don't even know where that is it is about 25 minutes east of Detroit. Personally, I love my hometown. Growing up in Harrison Township, although it may be boring at times, was a lot of fun. If you grew up in the HTP, you know these things to be true....

1. You are constantly on the water

Lake St. Clair is in the backyard of many residents of Harrison Township. Either you, or somebody you know has a boat and summer days are spent soaking up the sun on the lake. Events on the lake, like Aquapalooza and Raft Off, are like holidays to us. Many people look forward to these parties on the water all summer. Even though it is sad to look out on the frozen lake in the winter, people are still constantly out there ice fishing and doing other activities. I may or may not have almost broken through the ice on a four wheeler once or twice....

2. You can't go down the bike path without seeing someone you know

There is a bike path that runs down 16 mile in Harrison Township to Metro Beach. This path, during any season, is filled without bikers, joggers, and walkers. It is very hard to go down it and not see a familiar face. This path is the best in the fall because you are able to see all the leaves changing colors; it is beautiful.

3. Gina's is the best diner to get breakfast food

Every small town has a popular little family diner. In Harrison Township, Gina's cafe is the hot spot every Sunday morning after church to get brunch. Also on half days in high school the place is crawling with hungry teenagers. They have the biggest pancakes I have ever seen in my life and their omelettes are amazing. Plus, they put avocados on everything, who wouldn't love that?

4. Frosty Boy or Lori's Lick Em Up?

Frosty Boy and Lori's Lick Em Up are the two main ice cream parlors in the HTP. They both have awesome ice cream, however everyone seems to have a favorite. Growing up, after AYSO soccer games, Frosty Boy was the place to be. You also took field trips there in elementary school. At both locations you are allowed to bring your dog to come get ice cream with you and they even make them a little sundae- it's a big deal for dog lovers.

5. The light at 16 and Crocker is never ending

Everyone in the HTP knows that you have to leave at least five minutes early to wherever you are heading to accommodate this intersection. You probably have only made a green light here once or twice in your life, and when you do you tell everyone because it is very big news. Growing up, my mom used to use this light to put on her makeup in the morning...that is how long it is.

6.The St. Huberts' Fair is a big deal

Growing up, even if you didn't like rides, when the fair was in town it was a big deal. Every middle schooler is there with their group of friends, finally free of their parents. They ride rides, eat way too much junk food, and stay out all night, which is 11 o'clock. Also, every gold fish you get from the fair usually only lives for another day or two, many toilet funerals are conducted the week after.

7. You attended L'Anse Creuse Public Schools

LCPS is the school district of Harrison Township. Unless your parents decided to do school of choice, you attended this district. It is a great district to grow up in. The high school is down the street from many residents and you probably can hear the band practicing early in the morning from your bedroom all summer long. Although students complain about going to school in the HTP, and they claim they can't wait to leave and never come back, you will miss it once you do, trust me.

8. Metro Beach has gotten nicer

The beach that is in many of our backyards has not always been the nicest. However, it has made many improvements in the past few years. It is a great place for kids to play, families to enjoy beach days, and teenagers to hangout with their friends. It is a close and cheap option for endless summer days spent in the sun.

9. You always are driving down South River Road

Whether you or your friends live down South River Road, you somehow always end up driving down it. It is a long, curvy road, with a 35 mph speed limit that nobody ever seems to follow. If you take it all the way down you'll end up at the water. Marinas and harbors are very popular down this road and you see boats everywhere.

10. HTP, where's that?

No, HTP is not just the beginning of a weblink....if you are from Harrison Township you have to explain where it is to a lot of people. Every time you travel or get asked "where are you from?" people just kinda blankly stare at you when you respond. You end up holding your hand up and using it to show the mitten and explain where it is located. We exist, I promise.

I am very thankful I was able to grow up in a town like Harrison Township. It is a great place to live and I wouldn't trade the memories and friendships it has given me for the world. Although I couldn't wait to graduate and leave this town, I miss it more and more everyday.