10 Things To Do With The Extra Sunlight We Get From Daylight Savings

Daylight savings isn't all bad!
53

At 2:00 am on Sunday, March 13th, Americans turned their clocks forward one hour. Daylight Savings Time was originally invented by Benjamin Franklin, to allow for farmers to have more time in sunlight during growing seasons. Nowadays, a lot of people look at this pessimistically, and see it as losing an hour of sleep. While last week we did lose an hour, I personally like to look at Daylight Savings as an opportunity. It means summer is coming, and warmer days are right around the corner. Here are 10 things you can do with the extra time in the sun.

1. Consider starting a garden.

Spring is the best time to plant a lot of fruits or veggies, as well as flowers that will continue to bloom in the summer. With the extra sunlight, your plants will get the sunshine they need, and you will have time in the sun to attend to your garden!

2. Eat a meal outside.

Eating a meal outside - especially dinner - is one of the biggest perks of the spring/summertime. The weather is finally warm enough to enjoy sitting out, and the sun stays out long enough where you aren't eating in the dark!

3. Go on a hike.

The spring time is the perfect time to explore hiking trails near you and try them out. Whether you are an experienced hiker, or just starting out, hiking when all the leaves are blooming is a lot of fun and very pretty to see.

4. Go to an outdoor market.

Outdoor markets are almost always closed during the winter time. Once the sun comes out, people are more inclined to be outside! Take advantage of these local markets while they are out. Stop by your local farmers market one day after work and pick up fresh ingredients for dinner that night.

5. Save on electricity by opening your blinds.

Natural light = amazing for selfies. Enough said.

6. Lay out and tan.

Not much is better than laying outside in the sun while reading a good book, and catching a tan. Of course, you have to be safe if you are planning to catch some rays. Always remember to put on sunscreen and reapply it if you are getting too sweaty from being out.

7. Play Frisbee.

After being cooped up inside all winter long, getting outside and playing a game like Frisbee is a great way of breaking cabin fever. Not only will the fresh air revive your heart, but you will also get some pretty good exercise from it as well.

8. Grill up some food.

Grilled food is delicious, and a staple of the warmer months. Thanks to the sun staying out longer at night, you now have time to grill up something delicious for dinner!

9. Wash your car yourself.

Save your money by washing your car yourself! Use the extra sunlight to get some chores done, such as washing your car. Your car will be happy it's clean!

10. Walk your dog before the sun goes down.

Finally, it doesn't seem so dark when you get back from work or class. The sun staying out will give you just enough time to walk your pooch after work or school.