10 Things Tattooed People Want You To Know

From the tattooed to the non-tattooed.

66
My Neon Haven

Humans marked their bodies with tattoos since the time of the ancient Egyptians and even before. The oldest known examples of tattoos were discovered on several female mummies dating back to around 2000 B.C.E., and then the tattooed subject dubbed "Iceman" (found on the Italian - Austrian border in 1991) is argued to be around 5,200 years old.

Tattoos play a significant role in religious observance and ritual as well. Some cultures around the world still maintain strong tattooing traditions. However, in Western Civilization, tattooing developed into a way to express personal freedoms, viewpoints, and artistic style; express rebellion; commemorate important dates or events; and as memorials to those who passed. In recent decades, tattooing became more mainstream and less stigmatized. However, some stigma still attaches to people with tattoos. Curiosity about the art and practice of tattoos also abounds.

Here are 10 things people with tattoos would like to say to our non-tattooed counterparts:

1. They do hurt.

We understand the curiosity if you don't have any tattoos, but we get asked this question a million times, and I am here to clear it up. Yes, they hurt. You are stabbed repeatedly with needles - it is bound to be unpleasant at best. Some people have higher pain tolerances than others, and most people with tattoos will probably tell you we actually enjoy the pain somehow (probably because of the end result).

2. Please do not touch without permission.

Again, we understand your curiosity, and I think it is odd this even needs to be said because you probably shouldn't go around rubbing strangers' arms, but people do it more than you think. If you really, really think you need to touch someone's tattoo, at least ask first, and respect that person's wishes if he or she says no. Besides, they usually don't feel like anything but skin anyway.

3. A meaning or a story lies behind our tattoos.

People get tattoos for various personal reasons ranging from "because I wanted it" to "its in memory of my dead father". The stories are as unique as the tattoos, and we usually don't mind sharing them as long as you aren't creepy or pushy about asking. Just as with the touching, please respect people if they chose not to share their stories - most of us get our tattoos for us, not for you.

4. We aren't all criminals or sailors.

Nothing against sailors, but I remember my mom telling me why my grandmother was so against tattoos when I got my first one. She said, "Because when your NeeNee was growing up, the only people who had tattoos were criminals and sailors." These days, plenty of people who are neither criminals nor sailors have tattoos - your child's teacher, your local police officer, college students, and perhaps even your government leaders all have tattoos, and that is perfectly fine.

5. They are expensive.

Tattoos fall under the category of "you get what you pay for". They can be very expensive, depending on the intricacy of the design and the time needed to complete the piece. Some artists charge by the hour; others charge by the piece. Either way, the price is not going to be cheap, so if you want good work, prepare to pay for it. I am not saying tattoo artists charge unfairly. They simply evaluate the work they have to do and charge accordingly.

6. Most tattooed people want more tattoos.

I know I always want a new tattoo, but usually, I have to save money for awhile before my next ink session. Some people are fine with one tattoo or just a few, but other people (like me) always look forward to their next trip to the tattoo shop.

7. We usually aren't concerned with how you feel about OUR tattoos.

Like I said earlier, we get our tattoos for us, not you.

8. We will gladly recommend our artists, if you make a serious inquiry.

If you want to get a tattoo and don't know where to start, just ask. I don't mind recommending the shop where I get my art at all. I always have good experiences with my artists, and I would gladly recommend them to inquiring minds.

9. The stigma attached to tattoos in the workplace still exists, but we are making progress.

The professional world's attitude toward tattoos improved over the last few decades, but we still have a long way to go. Some companies do not mind if their employees are tattooed, some make you cover your tattoos while at work, but many place will not hire you at all if you have visible tattoos. (This is why all of my tattoos are in places easily covered by business casual attire.) I love my tattoos and the progress we made with tattoo acceptance in the work place, but we are still not done, and they are still not accepted everywhere.

10. We don't care what our tattoos look like when we are older.

Because we'll probably still look bad ass.