10 Things Scarier Than Halloween: College Student Edition

The truly terrifying reality of adulthood.

27
Metro

I want you to think about what scares you the most in this world, especially around Halloween. If you just thought about those crazy, killer clowns that have been running around, then I agree with you. However, when you're in college, you have to start adulting. It is probably the scariest thing of them all. Being responsible for yourself is inevitable and you have to start thinking about the very real, very near future. It is safe to say that when you're in college, your plate starts piling up and the struggle bus hits you at some point in time. Those of you who are in school right now or have been through college already feel my pain. So here are some things that are absolutely, 100% scarier than Halloween when it comes to being in college.

1. Sleeping through class

No matter how many alarms you set, sometimes you just sleep right through it, which means sleeping right through class. We have all done it at least once before, so there's no shame in that. It can be one of the scariest feelings ever though. Take it from the girl that had a dream she was in class and truly thought she was there. To my disappointment, it was actually a dream and I woke up at 9:30 for my 9 am. Whoops.

2. Walking into a test that you're not prepared for

As hard as it can be to admit, sometimes we don't study as much as we should. The amount of crap we juggle on a daily basis is enough to make your brain turn into mush. Sometimes we do study for a test, but it may be the hardest test you'll ever take. The uncertainty of an exam grade is one of the scariest things you'll ever face.

3. Trying to register for classes

The initial trying to figure out which classes to take process is hard enough. To make registering for classes even more terrifying, you have to sign up quickly or your whole schedule might be completely messed up. When registration officially begins and the clock strikes midnight, it's like the freaking canon going off in the "The Hunger Games" when you're fighting everyone for the classes you want. Good luck with that, ladies and gents.

4. Having a mental breakdown every week

If you have made it through all of your years of college without crying for no reason, I commend you. I truly have no idea how you did it. You can have a mental breakdown from anything when you're in college: lack of sleep, when you're fed up with caf food, not having a social life anymore. Or the fact that you have 4 exams, 2 projects, 3 papers, and a few other assignments to turn in all in the same week, while also working or playing sports. I promise you it is okay to break down every week in front of everyone because we've all been there before.

5. Finals week

Enough said.

6. Signing your intent to graduate

You really actually can't believe this is happening. Signing your intent to graduate feels good, but at the same time you're dying on the inside. You start to worry about all the adulting you're gonna have to start doing and you actually have to make it through the rest of the year. Be strong.

7. Applying to grad school

Despite everything you went through for your undergrad, a lot of us will have to go to grad school if we really want to get our dream careers. YAY MORE SCHOOL. Also keep in mind the grueling process that is applying for grad school. Make sure you've got an excellent GPA, set yourself apart from every other applicant out there, and be able to pay for absolutely all of it (aka you don't federal loans for grad school). Again, be strong.

8. Taking the GRE

If applying to grad school wasn't nerve-racking enough for you, then I bet you forgot about having to take the GRE. This is basically the ACTs/SATs for grad school that decides whether you get in or not. Just kidding! But your GRE scores do have a big factor in the application process of applying to grad school, so just something else to stress you out. No big deal.

9. Worrying about post grad plans

Even if you don't plan on going to grad school after you're done with college, it is still scary out in the real world. You have to get a job and be completely independent. It may seem like a never ending cycle of scary, but we'll all figure out post grad life eventually...right?

10. ALL THAT DEBT

The scariest thing, in my opinion, is thinking about how much money I'll owe for my student loans and how long it will take me to pay them off. Nobody tells you that you'll still be eating ramen after college because it's all you can afford. You're definitely not alone in this one, but that doesn't make the debt suck less.