10 Things Retail Workers Want Customers to Know

Help us help you.

354
bohol-island

Now don't get me wrong, I love my job...but there are times when customers really test my patience. Here is a list of 10 things that retail workers wish customers would realize.

1. Treating me badly is not going to make me want to help you.

Seriously, it's quite simple. If you're nice and polite to me, I will do everything I can to help you in any way that I can. If you walk in and immediately start yelling at me and insulting me, don't expect me to go above and beyond for you.

2. Saying "I'm never shopping here again!" doesn't bother me.

First of all, I can't count the number of times someone has said this to me and then came back to the store to shop again one week later. You're not fooling anyone. Second of all, if you're saying this to me then odds are that I don't really care if you come back anyway. We have plenty of other customers who enjoy shopping at our store and never have any issues.

3. I don't make the rules.

I work for a corporation. I have absolutely no control over the prices or the marketing. I just work here and do what I am told. Please don't yell at me when you're actually mad at the company policies that I am relaying to you. No matter how much you yell and scream, I can't change the rules and I am not about to break the rules and risk my job just for you.

4. Please do not walk away while I am ringing you out.

Nothing annoys me more than when customers bring all of their items up to the register and tell me that they are ready to be rung out...and then they proceed to go walk around again and shop for the next half hour. All this does is hold up one of the registers and annoys the workers as well as other customers in the store (especially if there is a line). I can't complete the transaction without the customer. Plain and simple.

5. I am not your personal shopper.

I am more than happy to help you with whatever you need me to help you with, but I also have other tasks to get done during my shift as well as other customers who may also need my attention. I can't stand there holding all of your items and doing all of your shopping for you for over an hour. The worst is when someone calls the store and asks me to run around the store shopping for them. If you call the store and ask me to grab one item to put on hold for you I will gladly do it, but I have had customers call the store with a full shopping list of items expecting me to run around and find all of them. I have customers who are actually in the store and need my help, I don't have time to run around for you when you're not even in the store.

6. I am also not getting paid to babysit your kids.

This may be the one that bothers me the most. Multiple times a day parents come in to shop with their kids...which is fine...but please make sure you actually watch your kids! It is extremely rude to let them run around destroying the store because you're busy shopping and can't be bothered with them.

7. No, I cannot use expired coupons or coupons that have not even started yet.

There are dates on them for a reason... this really isn't that hard.

8. If you walk into the store 5 minutes before we close just to browse, you are the worst kind of person.

I don't care who you are. Unless you know exactly what you need to buy and you are coming in just to grab that, pay for it, and leave, come back tomorrow. I'm tired and I've been standing for 8 hours. Please don't make me stay at work even longer just because you feel like browsing at an inconvenient time. Would you want to stay at work longer than you have to for any reason? I don't think so, so don't be the reason that I have to.

9. End your Facetime call before asking me to ring you out.

Seriously, this happens to me all the time. A customer will walk up to the register and say they are ready to check out but will continue to hold their phone up in front of their face and talk to their friend while I'm trying to get information from them to complete the transaction. It's just rude and probably going to make the transaction take longer than it needs to because you're not paying attention.

10. Don't assume that I can read your mind.

"I'm looking for that one red shirt... you know what I'm talking about!" No...I really don't. I have no idea what you're saying. Please know what you're talking about before asking the question. Also, don't get mad at me for not knowing that you need help with something when you didn't open your mouth and ask me for help.

I do honestly enjoy working in retail. I like my job, but some days are better than others. If customers realized these 10 things, it would make my life (as well as many other lives) so much easier.