10 Relatable Things Only 'Lake People' Can Understand

If you grew up on a lake, you understand.

227
Tyler Mason

We all reminisce on the simpler days when all we had to worry about was buffing out the water spots on the boat and making sure the cooler was "properly" packed--Ohhh the lake life.

1. You Were On the Water More Than Land

If it was summertime, you were on the lake as soon as you woke up--even if it meant you had to teach your weird cousin how to ski.

2. There Was Always A Party At The Sand-Bar

It didn't matter what day, time, or sometimes even what month it was. There was always lake friends at the sand-bar ready to get their lake-day on.

3. You Swam Underneath All The Pontoon Boats

Maybe we gave our parents a few too many gray hairs when they couldn't find us, but all the cool kids were doing it!

4. There Was No Such Thing As A Bad Sunset At The Lake

Every great lake-day always ended with an even better sunset cruise.

5. You Had "Boat Chores" Instead Of Regular Chores

Which included (and limited to) a weekly allowance of tubing and skiing.

6. You Had To Be The First Person On The Water Once The Ice Was Finally Defrosted

Even if it meant skiing in a way-too-tight wetsuit in March, the pride of being the first one on the water was always your worst enemy.

7. You Hated Nothing More Than Winterizing Your Boat (UGH!) 

The long, slow, and painful process of winterizing the boat is probably the only thing more procrastinated than doing your own taxes.

8. The Fourth Of July Was A Sacred Holiday... And A Dangerous One

The lake on the 4th is basically what it would be like if Costco had a "going out of business sale"! Busy, chaotic, and possibly life-threatening.

9. Tubing Was An Olympic Sport In Your Family

If Dad was driving the boat, good luck. Being the last person (barely) holding onto the tube was an honor and an intense forearm workout.

10. There Was Absolutely Nothing Better Than A Lake Day

Through all the lake-day memories, sunburns, tube rides, and sand-bar parties, the only thing better than a lake-day is the company you spent it with.