10 Things I Love About The Holiday Season

There are only 20 days until Christmas.

4
Allison Brown

1. Christmas light shows and decorated neighborhoods.

Whether it be lights on the edge of the roof, a blow-up snowman, lighted candy canes, or Christmas tree lights displays, the neighborhoods in my town go all out during December. The yards turn to fireworks displays of Christmas decorations.

2. Baking holiday cookies.

Every year, my mother, brother and I turn the kitchen upside down baking and decorating cookies for the holidays. The old metal cookie cutters come out along with the rolling pins and parchment paper as we turn the table into a baker’s kitchen. Soon the smell of fresh baked sugar cookies fills the air. To top it off, we must decorate them with icing and colored sprinkles.

3. Singing Christmas carols.

Ask me what my favorite Christmas song is. I will answer with all of them. I love the traditional hymns such as "Hark the Harold Angels Sing" and "Silent Night" just as much as the modern songs like "All I want for Christmas isYou" and "Jingle Bells." Nothing puts me in the Christmas spirit as much as turning on the radio and jamming out to Christmas songs. The Christmas cheer also manifest itself in the carols I sing in my church. Nothing beats holding candles as the dwindling light reflects off the stained glass windows, with those you love the most singing along with you.

4. Watching old classic holiday shows like Frosty the Snowman and the Polar Express.

Call me a kid at heart, but I enjoy nothing more than cuddling up with blankets on the couch watching old Christmas shows such as "Rudolph, The Year without a Santa Claus," and "Nester the Long Eared Donkey." (I may or may not get teary-eyed as well)

5. Reenacting the Christmas story.

In my church, there is a Christmas pageant every year where the Christmas story gets re-told through the children. Little kids surround the church in angel wings, sheep costumes, and shepherd's staffs to act and sing the beloved passage. No matter if I was in it, reading or witnessing, I enjoy every second of it.

6.The family gatherings at my grandparent’s house.

Every Christmas, my family goes to my grandparents’ house. Burned in my memory is the Christmas tree decorated with crystal, cardinals and glass balls, the singing Disney characters that are hung above the windows and the Mr. and Mrs. Claus dolls perched on top of the gas fireplace that was always on.

7. Candy Canes.

When I was younger, I despised the taste of peppermint therefore, candy canes held no appeal to me. I only wanted the jolly rancher flavored ones. Nowadays, I enjoy a nice peppermint candy cane with some hot chocolate as the snow falls from the sky.

8. The cold, brisk winter air.

As December approaches the cold winter season manifests itself in the blustering wind. Scarf and glove weather seems to make everything more festive. It is as if there is a magical presence in the air.

9. Rockefeller Center in NYC.

The city gleams like a gem during the holiday season. Thousands of shops go all put decorating their store fronts with lights and nutcrackers. Rockefeller center is filled with the Christmas spirit and laughter. The tree stands tall, towering over the city protecting it with its glorious lights.

10. Decorating the Christmas tree.

In my house, we have several big tubs full of Christmas ornaments. Our tree becomes a relic of past and present memories our family had together. The sentimental mom that she is, my mom keeps all the homemade ornaments my brother and I made over the years at school. Among the lights, there is Disney ornaments, a vast majority of train ornaments from my brother’s collection and server Barbie ornaments. Most importantly the angel adorns the top of the tree. I always have fun memories singing Christmas music and decorating the tree with my brother and mom.