10 Things All Lifeguards Want You To Know Before Going To The Pool This Summer!

Please watch your own children!

34
Wikipedia

As everyone heads to the pool this summer for vacation, it is important to be respectful of those who re working to ensure your vacation is safe! Lifeguarding is a huge responsibility and lifeguards take their jobs seriously. Here are a few ways you could make a lifeguard's job easier and improve the quality of your pool experience!

1. Please watch your own children! Yes, I understand it is my job to watch your child, however, I am also watching 30 plus other children so an extra set of eyes wouldn’t hurt. Plus, you won’t miss out on memories or life milestones if you aren’t buried in your phone.

2. I am a lifeguard, not a babysitter! Going off the last point, I have much more important things to do than discipline your child. If I have already told them multiple times to stop running, maybe parental discipline would help. It’s also just awkward if your child is spraying people with the hose and making other bathers uncomfortable. It’s not my job to teach them manners, it’s yours.

3. Don’t expect special treatment! I don’t care if you have lived in the complex your entire life or if you come to the pool every day. The rules still apply to you! If anything, you should know them better than most of the other bathers.

4. If it is not your private pool, don’t act entitled! Everyone pays the same dues you do to be there. If you didn’t get a chair because you got there late or if you’re mad that the pool is crowded, I’m sorry but get there earlier next time, then.

5. No running! I don’t care if you are five or 55, just don’t do it! It’s not safe! I’m not trying to ruin your fun, I’m keeping you and all the other bathers’ safe. Just trust me!

6. If you’re at an outside pool expect bugs, leaves etc.! Yes, it is part of my job to keep the pool clean and I get there an hour early to do so. I try my best to skim throughout the day, but it is nearly impossible to get every single bug that lands in the pool. It’s an outside pool! If I spent the entire time focused on every single bug I wouldn’t be guarding your lives to the best of my ability. What’s more important?

7. Clean up after yourself!I am the lifeguard, not the maid. If you bring snacks or anything to the pool, please throw away your trash. Also, take all your belongings home with you!

8. Never yell “I’m drowning,” if you are not actually drowning! It is not funny, it’s alarming. I take my job very seriously and if I hear that phrase, I’m jumping in to get you! FYI it is also not a good pickup line!

9. You’re not sneaky or sly! I know that when you keep staring at me and are looking suspicious, you’re about to break a rule. Just don’t do it. It’s insulting to my intelligence. The rules are there for a reason. You breaking them is disrespectful and maybe even dangerous.

10. Be mindful of the time the pool opens and closes! If the pool opens at 10 a.m. don’t expect me to let you in early. If I’m there early, it is to clean and prepare for the day. If you come early, I have to stop what I am doing and watch you. I also cannot clean up until you leave, so coming to the pool at 6:55 p.m. when it closes at 7 p.m. is just not cool!