10 Things I Learned In 20 Years

10 Things I Learned In 20 Years

As we grow, we learn.

3
10 Things I Learned In 20 Years

As I approach my 20th birthday it's beginning to hit me that my teenage years are approaching an end, and as terrifying as that is, it really seems like it's about time. When thinking about it, I've realized how much I have grown and learned within my short twenty years and I think it's important to acknowledge these things and how far we've come so without further ado, here's 10 things I learned in 20 years.

1.What others think does not matter.

As much as it sometimes feels like we need to consider others while making our own decisions, it's really not true. The only person who is going to be affected by your decisions is you, so if you feel in your heart that something is right, forget what everyone else wants.

2. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's good.

I've tried my fair share of expensive beauty products that were absolutely horrifying. I should have listened to my grandma when she told me that the only thing I should be washing my face with is water and the only thing I should be moisturizing with is six dollar Nivea cream.

3. You can always count on your family.

No matter what goes wrong or what I need, I know I can always turn to my parents or my siblings to be there for me.

4. Putting school first is important, but not if it's starting to affect your mental health.

I've always felt there was a fine line between studying enough to do well on the test and overdoing it to achieve excellence. Most often I've realized that doing just “well” but keeping it together is better than 3 mental breakdowns and an exceptional grade.

5. You should always love yourself even when you hate yourself.

How much can you really say about that?

6. Clothing sizes are not a reflection of your worth.

I’ve realized as I shop lately that every store has a different clothing cuts and that means you can go from an 8 to a 14 just by walking next door. But regardless of whether you're a 0 or a 28, it doesn't reflect who you are or what you're worth.

7. If you work at a job where you are not being valued, leave.

You deserve to be treated well, especially in a workplace where you put in your fair share. It isn’t fair to not be given credit where credit is due, but when they become down right rude, take a stand and leave. You can find something better.

8. Don’t stay in a relationship out of comfort.

This includes friendships, work relationships, and romantic ones. Don’t convince yourself that comfort equals happiness. It does not.

9. Having a clean room will ease a lot of life's stresses.

Seriously, put away the pile of clothes on your chair and see how much comes off your chest.

10. You can never stop aging, but that doesn’t mean you have to grow up.

This isn’t about being mature or immature, just keeping your childish imagination and hope. Keeping your creativity and sense of self in tact will help you incredibly to stay happy for as long as you are alive.