10 Things I Learned During Recruitment Week

The most difficult, yet most rewarding week of my life.

64
Pixabay.com

It's official... I am a sorority woman. I cannot believe I am even saying it because I thought the day would never truly come. Although I am proudly wearing my Phi Mu letters, recruitment week was one of the toughest things I have ever endured. So much emotional and physical stress was put on me as I narrowed down thirteen chapters to the one I would call my home. With that being said, I thought it was important to do a follow-up article to my "10 Things I Learned During Orientation Week". So, here are the 10 things I learned during recruitment week.

1. Don't call it rush.

I honestly don't really understand why. Just don't do it.

2. Always dress the part.

One of the biggest struggles for me was the early morning sessions. I could have slept in 30 extra minutes if I chose not to curl my hair. In reality, what is 30 more minutes of sleep compared to impressing your potential life long sisters?

3. There's always somebody better.

In life, there is always going to be somebody smarter, prettier, or funnier. Don't let it get you down. Your sisters will love you for who you are!

4. You meet some of your best friends.

I have met some of my very best friends through recruitment. While two of us ended up in the same chapter, my other two best friends are in completely separate chapters. We were all excited for each other and that has not stopped us from hanging out or being friends.

5. Cuts are hard.

Getting cut from a sorority that you loved is so difficult. One of my best friends told me, "Each house that cuts you gets you one house closer to finding your home."

6. One chapter is not better than another.

One of my other favorite pieces of advice from my friend was "Nobody will put you down for being in a certain sorority. All of them are so amazing. People will be excited for whichever chapter you are in." This is so true. Everybody at TCU is so supportive and will never put you down for your chapter.

7. Sorority doesn't have to be your life.

You can be as involved or uninvolved with it as you want. During recruitment, sorority seems like your whole world. Once classes start and you get a routine set, you realize it is just another normal activity.

8. Bid Day is the best day.

Seriously, I don't think I have ever had so much fun in my life!

9. Make sure your sisters value what you value.

I heard this saying all week and never really understood it until I found my home in Phi Mu. My sisters were so accepting of my roommate who wasn't in a sorority and they made me feel included from Day one. Including everyone is something very important to me, so I was thrilled to see that my sisters think the same!

10. Your sisters will be some of your favorite people.

I've only known them for a few days, but I would consider them some of my best friends. Conversations felt natural and we have so much fun together. I cannot wait to see where the next four years take me with all of these fantastic women.

Seriously, if you are on the fence about joining a sorority, I would highly recommend. The women you meet will change your life and give you some of your best college experiences. Go Phi Mu!