10 Things I Learned in the Past 10 Years

"It was the end of a decade, but the start of an age"- Taylor Swift

13

1. It's okay to be into things that other people aren't

Don't be afraid to like something that is out of the norm because you're afraid you will be uncool. Here's some context, I am a major Swiftie. The earliest memories I have of this decade are dancing in my living room to the album Speak Now and pretending to be a fairytale princess who got the prince and sang "Mine" every day for a year. Now, you could be living under a rock and know that us Taylor Swift fans don't have the best, dare I say, ~reputation~. So, I don't have to tell you how scared I was to come out as a Swiftie because I was terrified people would make fun of me. But as Taylor Swift's music evolved, so did I. I am now an out and proud Swiftie and literally no one cares. Did you hear me?! No one cares! Now, when people think of Taylor Swift, they think of me. So, if your struggling with coming out with a weird hobby or obsession, don't be! This aspect of you will just give people something to remember you!

2. Being late is just part of life

Everyone has his or her own time frame. I am a late bloomer and it always takes me an extra minute to make friends, but when I do, they become the most important people in my life. I applied for the same job twice in two years before I got it. When I started the job, I found that I was in a better position mentally and physically. I also love the coworkers I have now, the ones I wouldn't have had if I had gotten the job earlier. I was devastated the first time I didn't get the job, but in retrospect, it was the best thing to happen to me. I learned and I grew. So, throw all the timelines you have for yourself away, success will happen for you when it wants to and when it's best for you! In the end, It doesn't matter if you are late to the party, just that you show up!

3. Asking for help makes life easier

Sometimes life is hard to do alone. Whether it be asking a professor for help or your mom, help makes life easier because you will have input that you didn't have before. When I was suffering from depression, the hardest part of it was asking someone for help. But when I finally asked my mom for help, it was the best thing to ever happen to me. It was nice to not have to suffer anymore and finally be on the road to recovery.

4. Books are crucial

I can not stress enough how important reading a book is. I am a bookworm who buys a book a week and I learn so much that I can't imagine someone not wanting to read. It can be any type of book, historical to romance, the genre doesn't matter. I am a firm believer that reading books keeps the mind sharp and even if you read some funky book, you will still come out with more knowledge than you started with.

5. It's important to not get caught up in the seriousness of life

Life is a serious matter, no doubt about that. But don't get so caught up in it that you forget to have fun. Yes, school and work are important but do you know what else is important? Having fun. I know so many people who are missing out on so many enjoyment opportunities because they're worried that they won't get a good grade on a test or because they are swamped at work. Will this test or job task matter one year from now? Most likely not. So, don't forget to go out with your friends every once in a while to get some mental rest. And, if you absolutely do not have time for this, make sure you take at lease ten minutes to dance around in your room. Seriously. This task is a good reminder that this life isn't so serious all of the time. Dancing around in your room alone is so silly and is one of the best mental (and physical) exercises to remind you that life doesn't have to be so heavy all of the time.

6. Getting out into the world is needed to grow

I love seeing the world. I wish that I could afford to do it more often because every time I visit a new place, I learn something new about myself. I changed so much when I moved away from college because I was finally free from the influence of my hometown and I am better because of it. So any chance you get, leave. You'll learn so much.

7. Never take anyone for granted

At the end of the last decade, I lost my grandma. And at the end of this one, I have two grandparents who are gravely ill. I wish that I had spent more of the last decade to get to know them so that I could have memories of them when they are gone. As morbid as that may sound, it is how I feel. They won't make it to the next decade, so I will spend the end of this one and the beginning of the next one to try and get to know them before they are gone. Cherish your people, they won't be here forever.

8. Only do the things that make you happy

When I started college, I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I graduated. I wanted to be the best business management major the world had ever seen. But, once I got started I realized that I hated it. Like really hated it. It took me a long time to actually change my major because I was scared of how that would change my future. When I finally sat down with myself and saw that I would never really enjoy what I was doing and my grades and mental health would suffer because of it, I went to my college's adviser's office and changed my major to History. Why History? It's because I found myself enjoying it every time I took a new History class. It's because I was really sad when I finished what I thought would be my last one. It's because History teaches us so much about why the world works the way that it does. And, while I might not be making the big bucks in the future, I know that I enjoy the subject that I have a degree in and that I took a chance on something that made me happy.

9. It's okay to not be okay

Life is hard. I suffered from anxiety and depression at the same time. There were times this decade where I couldn't get out of bed for days but days where I was scared to sleep in my room. It was hard and I thought I was the only one who felt like this but after reading articles online, I learned that I wasn't alone. Anxiety and depression can completely demobilize a person, and that's okay. You'll find a way to cope eventually, but in the mean time, you must know that you do not always have to be at the top of your game.

10. But in the end, everything WILL be okay

I have learned a lot this decade but the most important thing I learned was that everything WILL be okay in the end. No matter what trouble life gave me, I always came out on top of the situation because I had this mindset. It took a while for me to get it, but no matter what bad grade I got, what accident happened, or what illness I had, everything was okay in the end. I lived and I learned and now the phrase "everything will be okay" is my mantra. I live by it and every time my mom sees the phrase on a knick knack she sends it to me. At the end of the day I always think, "the incident might have scarred me, but I came out alive nonetheless."