10 Things All High School Upperclassmen Should Keep In Mind

No matter which year you've just begun, here are some things you should definitely be thinking about

250

I'm a month into my senior year of high school, and I've been thinking a lot lately about, well, everything. As lame as it sounds, I love my high school. So, even though I'm excited for the future, the thought of leaving makes me super sad. It doesn't help that I'm super nostalgic- seriously, I'm that person that thinks, "Oh my God that is my last time tripping over the stairs on my way to H period science in high school ever." That being said, I know I'm in the minority here. So, I decided to make a list of things that all the juniors in seniors in high school out there should keep in mind, including myself.

1. Everything will end up ok.

Seriously, you will get into a college and you will be happy there, even if it isn't where you always had in mind. If your not pursuing the college path just yet, that's great too. Things have a way of working out for the better; if you don't believe me, ask any of your friends who have already graduated. So, try to stress a little less and keep your mind open.

2. Don't wish it away.

I realize that I'm not in the majority when I say I think every day about how little time I have left at my high school. So, to all the people out there who want nothing more than to move on or else are so caught up in the insane amount of work we have to do- slow down. Seriously, do your best to make this last year(s) last. You might be that person who swears they hate high school, but there will be things that even you miss.

3. Don't blow off your parents.

This is something that I frequently struggle with; sometimes it seems like my parents add even more stress to my life than is already there, but they do it because they love me, just like your's love you. It's cringeworthy, but it's true. They get older as we get older, and whether they show it or not readying themselves for our *sigh* departure is really hard on them.

4. Juniors- Do as much "college stuff" over the summer as you can.

I did my best to complete my Common Application over the summer, but I left a few things because I figured I had all the time in the world to get it all done. How very wrong I was. Trust me you will be bogged down enough with school work and supplements for individual schools come fall that you will be so thankful you got a head start.

5. Seniors- appreciate your friends.

Around this time it's pretty common for friend groups, maybe even entire grades, to get stressed and restless. You are going to have fights, deal with drama, and roll your eyes a lot more than you ever imagined you would during this time. These are normal growing pains, they happen to the best of us. So, remember that no matter what your friends love you, you love them, and you're going to miss them like hell next year.

6. Know when to let go.

If you're in a relationship, it's important to start thinking about what's going to happen come graduation day. Putting off thinking about it might seem like the easier thing to do, but trust me this will just leave you in a confusing and painful mess in the end, and that's not how you want to spend your last summer at home or how you want to begin your freshman year of college. So, talk to your boyfriend or girlfriend sooner rather than later. If staying together seems feasible and it's what you both want to do, that's great. However, if there's doubt in your mind it might be time to consider the alternative. People say, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." Corny I know, but something to think about.

7. It's your last chance to finally get to know the people you've seen every day in the hallway for the past 4 years.

Seriously, there's no reason not to branch out and connect with your peers that you've always known but never really knew. As your high school career comes to a close, stupid things like social expectations will matter less and less as each second passes, so grow up and say hi to someone. If you're expecting to go on to college and have people automatically gravitate towards you, your mistaken. You won't be little league anymore. You're going to have to talk to new people, many of which will be very different from yourself. You will be sharing a campus with ~real adults~ and you will be one soon yourself. Act like it.

8. Be kind.

This might sound stupid, but it's not. You should be mature enough by now to know if you're a nice person or not. If so, great keep doing you. If not, nows your chance to make up for it. Sure, college is a fresh start, but you might as well start now. You will be happier for it, and so will the people around you.

9. Pay attention to what's going on around you.

Like I said before, you're probably going to miss this place someday soon. Notice what you love about your high school, and notice what you don't love. Try to take the good things with you as you move on, whether it be on to your senior year or on to whatever comes after that.

10. Smile, laugh, brighten up.

I know I'm being repetitive at this point, but it's only because I believe in this so strongly. Enjoy this time; there isn't much of it. Even if you've had the worst high school experience imaginable, realize that the transition from high school marks something bigger. The day you leave for school is the day your room becomes your old room. Sure you'll be home for summers, but never again will your childhood bed be your real bed. Cherish driving your car around your neighborhood; not so long ago you were riding your bike along the same route. That's just how fast life goes by. No matter how much you might try to cling on to or push away from the innocence and happiness of childhood, the fact is it's fleeting. So, like I said, enjoy it and make it last.