10 Things That Will Happen When You Dye Your Hair Purple

Who knew all the fun it'd cause?

2465

In the spring of 2014, after 22 years of being brunette, I decided to dye my hair blonde. It was fun, took several months, and emptied my bank account. But I loved it. However, as a poor college student, I could not afford to maintain my blonde indulgence, and I needed to dye to something a bit less expensive.

I've always felt that I was a bit of a risk taker, and I've always loved seeing bright hair on other women, so I decided to give neon a shot. I dyed my whole head — from root to tip — bright, comic-book purple. And just like that, I was hooked. And I discovered 10 things that happen when you dye your hair a crazy color.

1. You Are Immediately Addicted

I was in love the instant I looked in the mirror and saw how bad-ass my hair looked. Not only did it look and feel 10 times healthier than when it was blonde, I felt daring and bold. Heart emojis were practically beaming from my eyes, I swear. I practically threw my money at my hairstylist and immediately booked my next appointment. Thankfully with the purple, I could go longer between visits, and it cost about half of what the blonde was costing.

2. You Feel Like A Superhero

My hair looked like Hit Girl's hair, from the movie "Kick-Ass." Lush and vivid purple, it made me feel exactly like she looks in this picture right here. Nothing could bring me down — not even random people asking me stupid questions like this next one.

3. People Ask You If It was An Accident

No, no my entire head of thick, 20+ inch-long hair did not turn purple by accident. How ridiculous of a question is that! I got so tired of answering it at work that I just started telling people "Yes, it was a horrible tragedy," or else I'd say "Nope, all natural. I get it from my Mama's side."

4. Everything Gets Stained Purple

Everything. My shower, my sheets, my towels, my couch, my clothes, my skin... everything was purple for a few weeks until the dye stopped bleeding out. I didn't care except that I had to clean so much since I was afraid it was going to permanently stain. It didn't.

5. Random Strangers Criticize Your Hair

How dare you. I really don't care if you don't like it, since it's not on your head. I like it, it makes me happy and I shall continue to do what I please, thank you very much. Didn't your Mama teach you not to say anything at all if you didn't have something nice to say?

6. You Dye Your Hair Blue

I loved the blue. I felt like a mermaid (which is the best thing ever because I probably am a mermaid), and it actually felt very natural for me. It's not as bright in this photo as it actually was in person, and I keep gravitating back to blue when I'm ready for some fresh dye. You'll love it too.

7. You Get Happier

Doing exactly what you want is extremely satisfying. I smile every time I see my hair in the mirror, or see it fall over my shoulder. That might sound a little narcissistic, but it's not. It's a genuine love of color and unicorn looking things.

8. Random Strangers Compliment Your Hair

Dawww, thank you! Karma will reward you for spreading nice vibes into the universe. People can be so rude, but they can also be so nice!

9. You Dye Your Hair Unicorn Colors

If there was a way to get sparkles in there too, you better believe it would be happening. There is even this new dye that changes color based on temperature, and I can't wait til they make it in crazy colors instead of black and maroons and blondes.

10. You Go Broke

It's just so hard to quit! It's been almost 5 months since I dyed my hair blue again, and it's faded out to this pale green, and I'm dying *wink wink* to get it redone. Except I'm trying it myself this time, so that'll be an adventure! Can't wait to see how that turns out. Fingers crossed!