10 Things "Gilmore Girls" Taught Me About Life

These are a few of my favorite take aways from the "Gilmore Girls."

35
PopSugar

With the new era of "Gilmore Girls" coming to Netflix later this year, I wanted to revisit the past and rediscover some of the life lessons that the original show taught me. I used to watch "Gilmore Girls" with my mom all the time.

I was Rory and she was Loreali. "Gilmore Girls" was our show, and I had a blast growing up while also watching the characters grow. I learned many valuable life lessons from watching "Gilmore Girls," these are a few of my favorites.

1. Dream big and never be afraid to pursue your dream.

Rory always wanted to go to an Ivy League School and become a succesful journalist, and she accomplished that. Lorelai wanted to be independent from her parents and feel success based on her own accord. She ran the Independence and ultimately The Dragonfly Inn. You are the master of your destiny. Yes life happens, nobody lives a life without strife. The important thing is to push past the struggles the you face so that you can accomplish your dreams!

2. Don't let financial struggles get you down.

Finances can either make us feel free or they can make us feel like we have the whole world resting on our shoulders. Rory and Lorelai were masters at finding fun things to do with little to no money, window shopping anybody?

3. Eating Chinese food, tacos, and pizza are best paired with any classic movie.

This is pretty self explanatory. Next time you're looking for a good movie break out the wonton soup, the chow mein and "Pippy Longstocking" and you're in for a treat!

4. Pop-tarts are a suitable meal anytime of the day.

Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, fourth meal you're set! Portable and cheap, what more could you want?

5. Coffee is essential for life.

For Rory and Lorelai had some of their best moments in Luke's Diner. Anytime life was getting them down, they always knew where to go to find solace. Do yourself a favor and find a great coffee shop. Where you can get caffeine on demand and sit down for a moment with a good book, or a good friend. Somewhere that you can just enjoy life's simple moments.

6. Snow truly is magical.

Everything slow's down when it snows. Yes you still have to dig your car out in the morning but snow really is beautiful. Lorelai says it best: "Everything is magical when it snows, everything looks pretty."

7. Family doesn't always have to be blood related.

The "Gilmore Girls" are a trust testament to having a family built on friendship. From Luke, to Ms. Patty, Babette and Maury, Sookie and Jackson, to Lane and Mrs. Kim the whole town loves the "Gilmore Girls." The sense of family that Lorelai and Rory have in their small town is amazing and something that I personally strive for in my own relationships. One of the best moments in the show where you can really see the love that the town has for these girls is in the last episode after Rory has graduated. The whole town gets together and sends Rory off into the real world in style.

8. Cherish your loved ones: you never know how long you will have with them.

When Lorelai almost lost her father, she regretted not having spent more time with him. We never know how long we will have with the ones that we love. Somebody once told me to listen more then you talk, never forget to tell your loved ones how much they mean to you, and to never forget to tell that them that you love them. We don't know how long we have on this earth but it never hurts to make each day count as best you can.

9. Love can be found in random times and places.

From finding love at the supermarket to finding somebody passed out naked on your dorm hall love can be found at random times and in random places. Keep your eyes out because life may surprise you and catch you off guard when you least expect it!

10. People can change.

Paris Gellar is a perfect example of somebody that has the ability to change. Initially I wasn't a big fan of Paris, I thought she was rude and her attitude toward Rory was unnecessary. But I grew to love her throughout the development of the show. Paris had a rough life but Rory gave her a chance (unwillingly) and a beautiful friendship blossomed. She's still a little rough around the edges but that's what makes her Paris and it's okay.

These are a few of my favorite take aways from the "Gilmore Girls." I know there are ton's others that people have learned and loved from this show. I'm ecstatic for the new revamp to come out. I can't wait to see what adventures await the girls but in the meantime I'll be watching re-runs in my pajamas and indulging in all the pizza, pop tarts, cereal and coffee my heart desires in preparation for the big day!