10 Signs You Studied Abroad In Europe

10 Signs You Studied Abroad In Europe

Everyone who studied abroad in Europe can relate. Been there, done that.

45
10 Signs You Studied Abroad In Europe

After returning home from a semester abroad in Europe, it's hard to wrap your head around everything you did the previous four months while traveling. The memories you made with the friends you met while overseas are ones that you will cherish for the rest of your life. After living an unbelievable life for a full semester, the realities of home hit you hard as the normal semester class schedule and course work seems 10 times harder than it did before. When you come back from being abroad feeling more cultured and worldly, there are some things everyone who studied in Europe can relate to:

1. Know how to travel (and pack).

Going to a different country every weekend was totally normal, leaving a shorter and shorter bucket list every time you got back from a trip.

2. Hostels.

Sleeping in a room with complete strangers surrounding you on bunk beds at first seems crazy, but ended up leading us to some of the best abroad stories.

3. The food.

From the pizza and pasta in Italy, to the endless tapas and paella in Spain, to the pretzels and bratwurst in Germany, the different foods you tried (and the pictures you have of them) are for sure ones you won't forget.

4. Referring to America as "the States."

Definitely a European thing that we pick up on and it somehow sticks.

5. Take lots of pictures.

After taking pictures everywhere you went, it is almost guaranteed that you have an endless number of scenic TBT Instagrams.

6. Euros.

While at the first Euros seem to look like monopoly money, they clearly do more damage to your bank account than you think.

7. Know (or at least think you know) another language.

Trying to navigate through each country is hard when you don't know the language, but after returning from a long weekend we like to pretend we know how to say at least a handful of phrases in that language.

8. Can live without your phone.

Not being able to text while roaming the streets is definitely something that takes some getting used to, and although we know how to live without our phones now, we still ended up asking for the Wi-Fi password the minute we walked into any restaurant.

9. Learn how to actually sleep on a bus.

Or just about anywhere. Traveling by bus or plane almost every weekend can get exhausting, but with some practice we now know how to fall asleep just about anywhere.

10. Know how to read military time/

While at first seeing 17:00 and 00:21 seemed confusing, we are all now pros at reading a clock in military time.