10 Things Every Accounting Major Will Understand

What do you call an accountant with an opinion? An Auditor

259

Yes, I am an accounting major. NO, that does not mean that I fit the stereotypical accountant image.

I'm sure if you're an accounting major you've heard many stereotypical comments about what you study and about what your professional life will be like. But I think it's safe to say that not every person in a particular profession is going to fit specific stereotypes or images. So, I don't know about you, but I am definitely tired of hearing the same accounting-related jokes, questions, and stereotypes!

Check out this list of the 10 most common things I've heard and encountered since declaring my major- and see if you can relate to any of them.

1. "Wow you must be good at math!"

I mean, sure I am... but accounting isn't THAT hard mathematically. It's not like accountants are doing calculus on a daily basis.

2. "How are you going to just sit at a desk ALL day?"

Technically, I won't be at a desk "all" day... I'll have to go to the bathroom at some point! But in reality, a lot of professional jobs require a significant amount of time at a desk, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. Plus, I plan on walking around the office to talk to people, not just emailing them when I have a question!

3. "You don't look like you'd be an accountant."

I hate hearing this one... like really, what does an accountant look like? I'm sure you're thinking of the stereotypical nerd, hunched over a computer, possibly wearing a bowtie or pants that are definitely to short, possibly even wearing a pocket protector. Or maybe you even thought of a super antisocial person who is just way to smart and doesn't know how to communicate with people? Whatever your image of an accountant is, just get it out of your head now! There's no "cookie cutter" person who works as an accountant, everyone is an individual outside of their job description.

4. "I couldn't imagine sitting through accounting classes for four years, it sounds so boring."

Technically, I started accounting classes the end of my sophomore year... so it's really only been two years. But that's beside the point. Sure, you can think accounting is boring and tedious but I think the same of history or science. The only difference is that I'm not telling you that I think your major is boring!

5. "Wow I can't believe you already have a job lined up so early!"

I guess that's just a small bonus to being a student in such a useful (or boring?) major. Trust me, it's not boring, and I actually like what I'm learning! Early employment is just a small perk!

6. "You must have a concentration in finance."

Actually, I HATED my finance class. Of course, I can't speak for everyone... but it definitely wasn't for me!

7. "How could you want to do that for the rest of your life?"

First of all, accounting is a great career and there are so many different things you can do with a degree in accounting, so I highly doubt many CPA's get bored with their professional lives. Secondly, I want to do accounting because it's something that I'm good at, I enjoy it, and (like I said) there are tons of jobs!

8. "Aren't all of your accounting professors old and boring?"

I really feel like this one could be said about many professors in any department... but no, not ALL of my professors!

9. "Accounting isn't really that hard!"

When you have to graduate with 150 credits and then pass all four sections of the CPA exam (preferably within a year of graduation) then you can make a statement about whether accounting is hard or not!

10. "You're in the business school, so that means that your classes are easier."

I can't speak for other business majors, but I definitely know that my accounting classes have never been a walk in the park.