10 Things I Don't Tell People Often Enough

You made my day. You're one of my favorite people. Thank you.

702
FindMotivation

Sometimes life just goes a little too fast, and we barely have enough time to catch our breath: this also means that we don’t stop and appreciate the people that are in our lives as much as we should. There are several small phrases that could mean the world to someone: if they light up your day, you can light up theirs by reciprocating how much they care. It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate: just stopping and taking a minute to reflect on all the good things that happen in our lives can be therapeutic.

Here are a few phrases that should become part of your daily vernacular.

10. You made my day.

So often we’re too busy with ourselves and our own lives to take a minute and appreciate the small gestures people do for us. If your brother texts you before a big tests and says “I believe in you”, make sure you tell him how happy it made you. People show that they care about you in different ways. Make it a point to show that they’ve been heard, and that you appreciate what they did for you.

9. You’re one of my favorite people.

I definitely don’t tell my friends how much I appreciate them as often as I should. There are so many wonderful people in my life, and I’ve been trying to be better about telling people that they are appreciated. If someone lights up your day, tell them so! If someone makes your day a million times better just by sitting down with you at lunch and talking with you, tell them. This helps to spread light and positivity.

8. I trust you.

I’ve never been the best when it comes to trusting people: I either trust too quickly, or refuse to trust at all. This is a big statement for me to say, but it’s something I’m working on being comfortable vocalizing. It’s okay to be emotionally vulnerable, especially when you’re around family or close friends. Telling someone you trust them before talking about something deeply personal can sometimes make you feel a million times more confident about what you’re doing.

7. I need help.

Sometimes it’s hard to admit that you need help. Be it with a school assignment, a family issue, or friend drama, we all need a helping hand sometimes. It’s important to feel okay with asking for help when you need it. Asking for help does not mean you’re weak or incapable: it simply means that you need a little extra push to help get you to the finish line. No matter how big or small the problem is, if you feel like you need help, ask for it. Asking for help doesn’t make you any less worthy of good things.

6. I forgive you.

We can hold grudges without even realizing we’re doing so. Forgiving can be a relieving action: by letting go of what happened, you can leave the emotional turmoil and drama behind you. You can go about your daily life without extra emotional baggage. Forgiving someone can be healing, especially if it was started over something petty. Even if you hate being the bigger person, forgiving someone can be a nice way to move towards starting over (or moving on).

5. I’m sorry.

Sometimes it’s easier to brush bad things off because the situation was really awkward, or because you dislike the person that was involved. You never know how your tone or your words will affect someone. If they come out and say “it hurt my feelings when you said that”, your first reaction shouldn’t be “I was just joking.” It can be awkward and uncomfortable to apologize, especially after you’ve said something insensitive. It’s important to be able to say “I’m sorry” and mean it. A small apology can mean a world of difference to someone, because it’s acknowledging that you’ve hurt their feelings, and feel remorse for what you said/did.

4. What can I do for you?

Everyone gets caught up in their own lives and their own problems, and sometimes we forget to take a step back and ask people what’s going on with them. If a friend doesn’t look okay and we’re in the middle of a busy day, we might assume things are fine and go about our business, when they just got some really bad news and could have used someone to talk to. Asking someone what you can do for them, even if it’s something small like sitting down and talking with them for a few minutes, can make a world of difference to somebody.

3. I miss you.

There’s sometimes an association that telling someone you miss them automatically makes you weak. That’s not true. Telling someone you miss them lets them know that you care about them, and that they matter to you. This is especially relevant for those of us that attend college away from home. Feeling homesick doesn’t make you weak. Telling someone “I miss you” doesn’t have to involve cheesy gestures of showing up on somebody’s doorstep at midnight and singing their praises. Call your Mom, Facetime your little sister, reconnect with a high school friend on Facebook.

2. I love you.

So often, we forget to slow down and tell people that we care about them, and more often, we neglect to tell those closest to us that we love them. When you call your Dad before class one day, you lose track of time, and forget to say "I love you" before you hang up the phone. Before your best friend leaves for a trip, you're too busy rushing from place to place to tell them "I love you" and "travel safe". If you love someone, tell them: life is too short and unpredictable for missed opportunities. Make sure the best people in your life know they are loved, appreciated, and valued.

1. Thank you.

The people in your life do a lot for you everyday. From the big things to the small things, the people closest to you (and complete strangers, too) can have an impact on your day. If someone does something kind for you, be sure to thank them. If the person in front of you holds the door for you so it doesn't slam shut in your face, say thank you. Be the stranger that offers to help if you see someone struggling to carry something up the stairs. Be willing to step outside of your comfort zone and do things you might not normally do. A "thank you" can go a long way. Think of how many of your friendships have been started and healed by the words "thank you".

Be kind. Be present. Be the positive force and guiding light this world so desperately needs right now.