10 Things I Didn't Expect to Learn in Europe

Sometimes the best lessons are the ones you aren't prepared to learn.

19
Taylor Hagerdorn

When I landed in Europe, I knew I was going to learn about the Holocaust and Cold War because that was the academic purpose of the trip. I also figured that I'd learn a lot more beyond those two important topics, and I couldn't have been more right. It's been about a week since I landed on American soil and whenever I reflect on my trip, I take away a new lesson.

1. Getting lost is a great way to discover a new place

One of the first things I accomplished in Berlin, the first stop on our trip, was to get lost. It wasn't a romantic and intentional kind of lost; it was the sort where you and your friends look at each other and around at the buildings near you and remember that you're in very unfamiliar territory. If we wouldn't have done that, we would have missed out on exploring parts of the city that weren't part of the agenda. We were forced to orient ourselves and it helped me feel more settled for the rest of our time in Berlin.

2. Sometimes the most mundane tasks make you feel more at home

Our third stop was in Prague. After a week and a half of living out of suitcases, my best friend and I decided that it was time to find a laundromat. We did a quick search and found a Speed Queen within tram distance. The trip took us out of the historic distric that we'd spent most of our time in. It was a gritty residential area that gave us a different and more well-rounded perspective of the city we were visiting.

3. The best souvenir might actually be additional weight you gain

I knew that Europe was going to be a delicious adventure long before our plane tickets were purchased. What I wasn't prepared for was just how good the food was. Between beer, ice cream and klobasa, I indulged in the culinary culture. Homemade pesto? Local Czech beer? Bread in Berlin?? I had no intention of saying no to the delights. Spending money on food was something I knew I would have to do -- I never expected to enjoy it so heartily.

4. ...or it might be the tired feet that took you so many places

I did burn some of the calories I took in. Although public transportation and our group's bus were more than helpful, it was necessary and fun to walk many places. I was able to walk on cobblestones in four historic cities; I trekked through Tiergarten carrying currywurst and beer; I walked along the rails at Birkenau as a storm rolled in. My shoes were dirty and my feet were swollen and exhausted -- but I wouldn't have traded it for a thing.

5. Historic sites don’t always look perfect like in textbooks

I've only seen most famous sites in documentaries and pictures; as with any sort of modeling, the focus of the view has to be at its best. In reality, a lot of old buildings and monuments are under construction. Seeing scaffolding on old cathedrals was very surreal; it was a poignant reminder that all things, even precious old things, are always moving forward.

6. Sometimes, the magic of those places is disrupted by tourists

Something else that's rarely depicted in photos and documentaries is obnoxious tourism. It was uncomfortable to visit incredibly beautiful cathedrals and have a difficult time reading plaques or enjoying stained glass because someone was trying to take a picture or have a picture of themselves taken in front of it. I'm a supporter of making memories; in fact, I love taking photos of the things I see in order to remember them later. But to see such beauty and incredible history defiled by rude tourists more interested in the perfect photo than to enjoy what's in front of them was truly appaling.

It's also important to use discretion when taking photos of yourself or others at some locations. I don't want to dictate the lives of others, but I think it's safe to say that selfies at Auschwitz-Birkenau and other somber locations aren't really appropriate. Respect for history should be the primary concern of visitors.

7. Itineraries are great guides - but they don’t have to be strictly adhered to

The professor for the class put together an incredible list of required and optional ideas. for the trip. Every place we went that was on the list was incredible. However, so were the places we visited that weren't on the list. During a free day in Vienna, my friend and I found a tower tour at Stephansdom. For 4.50 euros, we climbed - anxiously, dizzily gasped upward -- 343 spiraling stone steps. Although I started to panic because I could see nothing but stone between few and far in between small windows, the view at the top was so worth it. I thoroughly believe - in spite of my true fear of heights - that love for a place is encouraged when its viewed from above.

8. Trying new foods and drinks is a skill that deserves to be brought back home

Compared to some people, I'm an adventurous eater. When faced with menus in languages I couldn't speak, however, I had to reach a new level. It was extremely rewarding. Who knew that I actually liked goose and dark beer? I was lucky to receive some awesome recommendations on food and drinks from locals, and testing them out proved fruitful. When I came back to the States, I noticed that I was interested in branching out. I'll still always love Miller Lite and a good cheeseburger, but new and different foods are so enticing.

9. European babies might be cuter than American ones

I'm a big fan of the classic chubby cheeks and bright eyes of babies as a universal rule, but I think the prettiest babies I've ever seen were spotted on public transportation throughout Europe.

10. Don’t forget to appreciate the moment

I didn't prepare for how exhausted I would be on the trip. It's hard to prepare for that when it's a new experience, but I was utterly wiped. My brain, legs and feet were on overload. It was tempting to complain and avoid new experiences. However, the best moments were the ones when I reminded myself that I had only a little time in this particular place. I made sure to really look at sights around me, whether they were clouds and trees or a busy museum or crowded cathedral. I tried to savor every moment -- from the mundane to the spectacular -- and that made for a truly remarkable adventure.