10 Things Cal U Students Can Relate To

10 Things Cal U Students Can Relate To

Discovery Days are the best days.

33
10 Things Cal U Students Can Relate To
synmediagroup.com

With Cal being a medium sized school, you get the comfort of seeing new faces every day and always having the opportunity to make a new friend in a class coming up. But, alas, Cal is small enough we can all experience the same things: some pleasant, some not so pleasant. Without further ado, let's talk about 10 things all Cal U students can relate to.

1. The walk from Duda Hall to Morgan Hall

There is nothing more dreaded than seeing that TBA on your schedule turn to Morgan Hall, and then realizing you have to make it there...from Duda...in 10 minutes. That walk in 10 minutes, in the sweltering hot, or the frigid cold, is never a pleasant one. Actually, any walk to Morgan Hall is a dreaded one.

2. Craving real food but the only option is food made by AVI

As a broke college student, a lot of us don't always have a car to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest Applebee's, and sometimes even the 2 for $20 is pushing the budget as a college student. At most schools, you can settle for some Subway or another fast food restaurant and use your meal plan. But, at good ole Cal, you're eating the same foods every week made by AVI. You can only eat cheese fries so many times, and that's coming from someone who never though they could say that.

3. Almost crying when talk of a Chik-fil-A coming to Cal happened

There was not one Cal U student with a Twitter account who wasn't rejoicing over the fact that a Chik-fil-A was coming our way. Yes! Finally! Real food. RIP dine dollars, you've been good to me. 

4. Having the same teachers over and over again

I'll only be a sophomore in college this fall, and I'll already be three-peating with a professor. After being so close with my high school teachers, I never imagined my professors even knowing my name, let alone building relationships with them. Turns out, one of my teachers coincidentally has a picture of me being baptized...I wish I was kidding. With Cal's departments being so small, having the same teachers over and over isn't uncommon, this can be a blessing or a curse. Try and get along with your professors.

5. The Train... Ah, the train

Summer break has been going on for a month and a half and the word still sends a shiver down my spine. It is the commuter’s nightmare. Never trust it. If you have anything important that day, or are running just the slightest bit late, I guarantee the train will come and you will be stuck for an unknown amount of time.

6. The wait at Fresh

If you're feeling healthy and you're short on time, think again about Fresh. While their wraps and salads are tasty, you're guaranteed a long wait and some sore feet after waiting 20-25 minutes on a good day. 

7. 99 cent water cups

I think we can all remember the tragic day they started charging for water cups. That's all that needs to be said. I know I still shed a tear now and then.

8. Never knowing who you'll see on campus

With not owning our convocation center, you never know who you are bound to see wandering around. Some days you see a swarm of middle schoolers, various high schoolers parading around, people launching things by the fountain and sometimes even robots. It gets interesting.

9. Discovery Days are the best days.

It is very rare you'll see a line for the Gold Rush or really an overwhelming amount of people in there. All bets are off with that logic on Discovery Days. Cal U really steps it up on student tour days and you are guaranteed a satisfying dining experience that day. So many French fries. 

10. Complaining about Cal and all its annoyances, but once summer hits, you can't help but miss it

There's no doubt, some things about college have you yearning for summer break and time at home, where you're in a familiar setting. But there is no doubt, you can't help but miss it and your friends when you're away.