10 Things Being a Competitive Dancer Taught Me

How a recreational activity can change you as a person.

75
Tyler Shields

It is officially competition season and that means boys and girls all over the country are putting on make up and costumes to show a set of judges what they learned in the beginning of the season. Many people are against competitive dance because it is an art form and art should not be put up against one another, but for me being a competitive dancer has shaped me into the person I am today.

1. It taught me that not everyone is a winner.

As kids we grow up hearing "everyone's a winner." In reality, life as an adult is not going to be like that. Being a competitive dancer taught me that it's okay to not come in first place in every competition. It makes you work even harder to win the next one.

2. It taught me how to put on makeup in a moving car perfectly.

I cannot count the amount of times I sat in the back of a car putting on a full face of make up before a competition. I applied everything from foundation to fake eyelashes, making me an expert.

3. It taught me how to get dressed in the back of a car.

2 and 3 are similar but one involves flashing strangers that are driving in cars next to you. Although dancers are comfortable changing in front of anyone, weirdos in the car next to you isn't as great as it seems.

4. It taught me how to change my clothes in less than a minute.

Those quick changes can be tough in between numbers but you become accustomed to it after your third competition.

5. It taught me that waking up at the crack of dawn isn't that hard.

When you wake up early in the morning for something that you love, it's pretty easy.

6. It taught me that hours and hours of practice will result in success.

In everything I do, I make sure to do it perfectly. This comes from the fact that a dance needs to be perfect.

7. It taught me how to be a role model.

It is important that dancers work together on stage. Having a production number with 4 year olds and with you as an 18-year-old, it really makes you think about how you are acting. You realize that those little girls are looking at every move you make, both on and off the stage.

8. It taught me to always be on 100% of the time.

You never know when you would be going onstage at a competition. They jump around to accommodate dancers so you need to always be on your toes because you never know when you will be asked to perform. This goes with everyday life as well. You never really know when you will be asked to do something.

9. It taught me that your toughest critic is yourself.

I always looked to others, especially my teachers or the judges for critique, but I realized none of that would've been enough until I believed that I actually did good. Now, once I feel good about something I create or do, I don't care what others have to say because I'm proud of it.

10. It taught me that family means much more than blood.

There is nothing like a dance family. Those girls are the strongest family you will ever have. Blood, sweat and tears are what you share with those girls and that can sometimes mean much more than your actual family.

Good luck to all the competition dancers out there the next few months. Just remember that it will shape you into a different and better person as a result!