10 Things Non-Band People Should Know About Marching Band And Its Members

Not to toot my own horn or anything...

2810
Kelli Hughes

Band camp is nearing for bands all across the country, and as we band kids gear for the upcoming season, the non-band kids are passing by, probably thanking the good Lord above they are not in 100 degree weather. We also may be a little jealous of them, too, but we have a love and passion for marching band, and as it may be hot, we eventually get over it and go back to set whatever. But what the outside world doesn’t know about us is all the hard work and time we put in putting on a fantastic show. As much as we love our friends and family outside of the marching band world should know more about what we love on and off the field.

1. “I can’t, I have rehearsal."

Have you ever told this to someone before? 11 times to be exact? Our friends ask us to hang out constantly but we are always so busy with rehearsals and outside sectionals. From trying to memorize everything, to practice in all types of weather, we have a lot on our plate during marching season. Depending on the school, we practice A LOT! Marching band is time consuming, but so worth it. You can hang out with us on Sundays, if were not asleep all day or catching up on homework.

2.“What happens at band camp stays at band camp.”

High school marching bands usually have band camp in a span of two to three weeks (That’s just Oklahoma, who knows about Texas, they’re crazy for band), learning their main show for the whole year. It’s not as easy as you think. High school band camp puts an emphasis on fundamentals since freshman have never marched before. College band is usually a full week of band camp (depending on the school) and usually a full 12 hour day of band. We get breaks, of course, but this is us learning the first show, fundamentals for everyone to be on the same page, getting rookies to get settled into the college band life, etc. After band camp, we go straight into school while non band people have a little more time to prep for school. Our summers are shortened, but we get to see our band family sooner.

3. “Practice makes perfect.”

We practice before band, after band, at home, in the car, on the streets, you name it. High school only has to memorize one show, whereas in college, we get to memorize multiple shows, including pregame. Both levels have to also memorize stands tunes, school songs, and the star spangled banner, basically everything. It may take a while, but we eventually get it. It’s a lot of memorization that takes a lot of practice. How much do you memorize a day?

4. Our Directors and TA’s are equivalent to coaches, and they do not go easy on us.

We may be band kids, doing band things, but that doesn’t mean we get it easy. The directors and TA’s are awesome, but they can get tough, just like any other coach in any other sport, as they should be. If you ever played basketball or volleyball or whatever sport you played, you know that coaches need to be hard on you so you can be successful. It’s like that in band too. High School Marching Bands have to prep for competitions and State contests. Each foot has to be in time, each note has to sound bold and in tune, and without our directors and TA’s, band would be a mass chaos.

5. We are the chilliest group of people.

If you ever meet a band person, you know that they are usually pretty nice and open. Of course, we have those certain people who may annoy us a little, but that’s in every organization. Come hang with us some time, were pretty chill. But before making plans, refer to number one at the top of this article.

6. Band boosters are everything.

We have non band people help us band people, and they are called the band boosters. Mostly consisting of band parents, Alumni and some volunteers, boosters work to help the band program in all ways possible. If you’re a non-band person reading this, and you already love band or have a kid in band, consider helping out! It is a very rewarding experience and band members like me are forever thankful for boosters.

7. We play more than just football games.

As much as we love marching band, we are in other band organizations too. Some of us play at basketball games, wrestling matches, volleyball matches, concert band, jazz band (both high school and college), even joining incredible band and music organizations such as Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Sigma Alpha Iota and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (All college level organizations). Band goes further than marching band, it takes us everywhere. If you see a band member, they are probably heading to play somewhere for someone.

8. Being in band has helped us prep for the real world.

Being in band has helped many academically, socially and physically. But for both levels, it has helped us become responsible adults, helped us with time management, and helped us become successful leaders, with leadership roles within the band. A lot of people that are not in band see us playing instruments and making formations on the field, and that is pretty cool in itself, but the best part is that we are the future leaders of the world and we are being prepared for that.

9. We stay when you leave.

Whether its high school or college, people tend to leave football games early when the team is doing horribly or when it starts to rain, or when it’s too hot, and that’s okay. You’re definitely allowed. But the people who do stay to watch a train wreck, or being soaked in rain, or sweating their life away is the marching band. We don’t have the luxury to leave when we want. Sometimes, we become the student section when the student section leaves. When you leave, we will still be playing our fight songs. Even when the game is unbearable to watch.

10. Some of us won’t be playing our instrument or teaching after graduation.

For some students, music is something that they want to do in their future, playing or teaching, but for many, it is not. Band is our happy place and something we greatly enjoy, but we also have other passions that we want to pursue in the future, and that’s okay. *Some* people think that band students are just band students, and that is not the case. A lot of us are enjoying the time we have in band left before we set out into the real world. Before we have to pay for hotel rooms, free football games and free food.

There is nothing wrong with not being a band person, but sometimes there are misconceptions about marching band and what we really do and what goes on. But this time consuming, exhausting, weird tan lining, music filled sport is so worth it, and we love playing for you, and playing in general.